Help! Seasoned Cast Iron came out very, very sticky!

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Help! Seasoned Cast Iron came out very, very sticky!

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:14 pm

I just seasoned a 4 qt. camp dutch oven in my oven with Crisco. Have done this many times before and never had this problem...it came out very sticky. I put it in the oven at 300 for about an hour, then let it cool, took some of the residue off then put it back in the oven at 300 for over an hour and a half. When I took it out (after it cooled) it was sticky. I tried using water and even a wool (no soap) scrubber but it is still sticky. What the heck did I do wrong this time around? This piece was bought on Ebay and is not a name brand - just a generic oven.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:21 pm

I'm no expert so I'm just guessing. Maybe it didn't get hot enough?

Are you using the same oven that you've done it in before? I happened to have the infared thermometer while baking something. I shot the inside of the oven and it was way off, like 50deg or so.

Stick it in can turn it up. It should smoke while seasoning....which is why I do it outside on the BBQ.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby caseydog » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:23 pm

I'm not an expert, but from my experience, you need to wipe the cast iron down when it first comes out of the oven from the initial seasoning.

Once it cools, it may not want to come off, even if you re-heat it.

I always wipe mine down right after it comes out of the oven to get the excess fat off the iron.

Hopefully, some more experienced folks will chime in, but this is my own experience.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:30 pm

I agree with Rocky about the heat not being high enough. Another possibility if it was a new piece that wasn't preseasoned, it may have a wax coating to prevent rust.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 pm

Asia and Casey:

I thought I had wiped it down but I may not have after the first time. I am so mad at myself for letting that happen. Yes, I always use my home oven...husband just loves me dearly when I do that (he loves me from outside on the patio with a tall one in his had)

I tried to clean it out using only water and a metal scrub brush but I half-ass'd it. Shoudl I try and put more seasoning on it and try again at 350 maybe? Does the temperature matter...I mean 250, 350, 450?

Please help me...I feel like the witch on the wizard of oz...I'm melting...I'm melting.......or, meltdown actually. HELP ME PLEASE.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Kevin:

It didn't feel like it had a wax coat on it. It felt rough, not smooth. Now if it did have a wax coat on it and I seasoned it, did I just create a big mess? How do I start over and get it right.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:39 pm

Here's a great link about DO care, they recommend 375 degrees for seasoning.
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papa ... n-care.htm
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby doug hodder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:36 am

I'd agree...crank up the heat till it smokes, or at least starts to, that's close to the flash point of whatever you have coated it with. ...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TLC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 am

I do all of mine on the gas grill. I turn on two burners and set the DO inside till it's warm to the touch. Put a light coat of Crisco on and leave it in there an hour. Turn the grill off, let it cool down right on the grill, and it comes out perfect every time. Up to 400 degrees and higher depending on the wind. It will get quite hot but so far I haven't had any problems.
Good luck
Tom
I can drink all day.....provided I don't start till 11PM
TLC
The 300 Club

Postby Joanne » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:04 am

TLC wrote:I do all of mine on the gas grill. I turn on two burners and set the DO inside till it's warm to the touch. Put a light coat of Crisco on and leave it in there an hour. Turn the grill off, let it cool down right on the grill, and it comes out perfect every time. Up to 400 degrees and higher depending on the wind. It will get quite hot but so far I haven't had any problems.
Good luck
Tom

Hi Rebecca,

Tom's technique is the exact same that i use.

Generally speaking there are two common problems when seasoning an oven; the temp is too low, and/or, too applying too much oil (or Crisco).

For temperature I always season at high temps. Around 400° to 450° on the grill using an accurate thermometer stuck through a hole in the grill top. The high heat method has become much more common in recent years and I feel it gives the best results.

For the oil, you want to get the lightest coat that you can. It doesn't take much to get a good seasoning. As the cast iron heats the oil gets very thin and creates runs which result in sticky spots.

Some folks don't feel that one light seasoning is enough, so they will go through two or three seasoning cycles to "build up" the seasoning on their iron.

That's my 02¢ worth!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby caseydog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:09 am

Kevin A wrote:if it was a new piece that wasn't preseasoned, it may have a wax coating to prevent rust.

Oh, yes. Did you wash it out with soap and water before you seasoned it? Raw cast-iron cookware has a waxy coating from the foundry to keep it from rusting before you buy it. You may or may not feel it, but if the cookware isn't seasoned, and it isn't rusty, then it has some kind of protective coating. That needs to be scrubbed off before you season the pan.

Dawn detergent is excellent at stripping off the coating. Car detailers use Dawn to strip old wax off of cars before re-waxing them -- it is that strong.

At this point, I would start over. Wash it thoroughly with some Dawn and water first, to strip off whatever is on the cookware. Then let it dry and start the seasoning process again. I would NOT just try to re-season on top of what you have already done, since it is not really known for sure what is wrong.

I've used the gas-grill method, too, and it works fine -- and doesn't stink up the house.

When you finish, really wipe it down well with paper towels to remove excess oil/fat.

Once again, I'm not an expert -- but this is what I would do if it were me.

CD ;)

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Sticky Cast Iron

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Thanks to all of you (Asianflava, Casey, Tom, Joanne, Kevin) for the suggestions. I will start over with this oven. I don't have a gas grill - charcoal only - so I will wait until Sunday to do this again since the husband will be in Louisiana and out of the kitchen. I think I just put too much Crisco this time and I didn't have the oven hot enough. I was pretty sad when it came out this way but I think I can save it. It's the perfect size for me to cook in for 1 or 2 people when camping so I want it to be seasoned right.

Thanks again!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:10 pm

if you want to get it clean fast, borrow a drill and put a polishing pad on; zips right through buildup and even rust, and leaves a nice clean finish.
Wash that with soap and water and dry it with paper towels right before seasoning.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby wolfy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:30 pm

You didn't have it hot enough....like Joanne said 400-450 is what I've always used. You'll get a good seaoning with one shot at that heat :thumbsup:

Another thing that will keep that junk from forming inside is to turn the oven upside down and then set the lid right side up on the upturned oven legs when you do the heating. After cooling, you will find a very even seasoning on the oven interior with none of that putrid gum that you had before.

Bon Chance!
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Postby tomsglr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:47 pm

Another thing that will make it sticky is vegetable oil.

Tom
tomsglr
Teardrop Master

Return to Cast Iron