Bought a waffle iron on Ebay

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Bought a waffle iron on Ebay

Postby davefullmer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:30 pm

Hello everyone,

Now y'll have gone and done it. I got to reading about all those tasty waffles and the obsession for cast iron stuff. So I went to Ebay and saw all the stuff I could bid on and noticed that the waffle irons were going for $30 and up.

So I threw in a max bid on one for $21 something thinking that someone else would win it probably.

Lo and behold, I bought it for $11.50. Now I wonder what I missed. I could see it was rusty but the claim was no defects and the wood handles are clearly there. But no one wanted it worse than $11.50? Is a Wagner-Sidney not desireable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0196393917

Now I have to go back to Eunice's post about her find and check out the Electrolous proceedure. Darn and I have only started welding my frame for my Tear and already you guys are turning me into a crazy.

Is this what the future holds for me? :o :o

Dave
Dave Fullmer
McKenzie, TN
davefullmer
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm

Dave,

Ya done good, nothing wrong at all with that Wagner. Looks like a nice waffle iron. :thumbsup: Be sure and post pics of your first waffles...
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby davefullmer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:08 pm

Ha, first I have to clean the rust off and reseason it. My wife is going to kill me, but I am used to that after 49 years.

Then I am going to have to learn to cook waffles.

We have a family campout reunion in Michigan every year that my son has organized. Until this year we have taken my motorhome but no more will I drive that thing 600 miles for a weekend campout. 32 feet and a 454 engine just doesn't cut it with gas prices as they are. This year we took a 2 person tent and although 30 years ago, that was how we camped, today we are too old to sleep on the ground. So, I have decided to build a Cabin Car.

And now you people have got me looking at all my mother's CI skillets up in my garage upstairs.

My son has a very large CI Pot that he boils water using a tripod over a wood fire. This thing is about 15 or 18 inches in dia and it works out well for him. Next year, I want to take that waffle iron and cook breakfast for them one morning. That will send everyone into shock and cardiac arrest because Dad learned to stay out of the kitchen early in our marriage because I didin't do things the way my wife did.

Of course, I am going to have to shock my wife sooner also, because I definitely will need some practice.

Dave
Dave Fullmer
McKenzie, TN
davefullmer
Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:44 pm

You will have a great time. it looks like a nice waffle iron. There are several links to electrolysis. Just Google it and you will have more info than you can use. it really is easy. You just need the WASHING SODA. I tried baking the baking soda but that doesnt work very well. The sodium carbonate from the spa/pool supply is great but pricey. Hopefully you can find Arm and Hammer Washing Soda where you live. Be sure to take lots of pics.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Waffle Iron

Postby BlackIronCook » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:39 pm

I also recently purchased a Camp Fire Waffle Iron. I love it! Just get you some baking mix and throw enough water in it to make a batter like you would for pancakes. Besure to oil your iron and preheat it before you put the batter in it. I like to spray it right before I put batter in it too.

Randy
BlackIronCook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joanne » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:51 pm

I really enjoy cooking waffles in my waffle iron. I still get a kick out of cooking waffles while up camping. No electricity and wonderful, crips waffles. Ha!!!

Matt, the waffle iron has a loving home. :lol:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 pm

For a simple "never cooked recipe" get the Krustease (?) mix for pancakes at Costco. Add water and a little oil and stir. I think you should be able to handle that and the waffles are good. Get a can of spray stuff.. olive oil, Pam whatever. Spray before you cook and after you cook. You will be impressive. :thumbsup: :applause:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 pm

Dave...clean it up, season it and practice some. I had some guests this last weekend, did up a batch of waffles and really impressed my buddies wife. She's a wheel with extension homemakers, and was blown away that I was doing it on cast iron...You'll be ready for a morning waffle feed in no time... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

waffle iron and vw windows

Postby eamarquardt » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 pm

I'd say you did excellent on your waffle iron. Has anyone considered bead or walnutshell blasting cast iron. Walnut shell would leave a really nice finish ready for seasoning. In addition, I have coated stuff with
zylan (a coating like teflon) with good results. Just need a spray gun and a hot electric oven to cure it.

I have two vw windows (they weigh 5# each) for you if you're interested. Can probably get two more of the same for free or very little.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby BlackIronCook » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:35 pm

There is a guy called the Pan Man. He is deemed "The Expert" where Cast Iron Cookware is concerned. The Pan Man advises against blasting of any kind last time he weighed in on the subject. I had a small DO I let get rusted up and I soaked it in a 50/50 solution of White Vinegar and Water. After several days of soaking I washed it in clear water and a stiff brush. I would even recommend one of those Stainless Tooth Brushes. Have the Pam real close. You want to dry it on a warm fire and spray it as soon as it is dry. This process cleans the metal so clean it will literally Rust before your eyes. Then season it as you would any cast iron pot in a 400 degree oven. Don't forget to remove the Wooden Handles.

Randy

PS. I just purchsed my own #8 Griswold Waffle iron from ebay tonight. :twisted: Didn't get as good a deal as you did. I had to pay $34.95 for mine.
BlackIronCook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby davefullmer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:23 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am really looking forward to getting better acquainted with everyone. There is so much help here.

Gus, I am sending you a PM about those VW windows.

Randy, Is the Pan Man someone on this forum, or someplace else?

Dave
Dave Fullmer
McKenzie, TN
davefullmer
Donating Member

Blasting

Postby HossHoffer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:06 pm

Blasting is a great way to clean your cast iron. I think that the issue with it is how "virgin" it leaves the surface. Once you blast it clean be ready to season it plenty before you use it. I have cleaned my iron different ways and save the blasting for those with real tough, burnt on, flaking stuff. I usually wash it it nice hot, soapy water to get the dust off it after blasting and rub it with oil and put it right in the oven to bake. My experience has been that it will take three or four good seasonings after blasting to get the seasoning back. Oh and I have blasted with glass beads and plastic media. They both work well but I wonder if the plastic media leaves anything behind imbedded in the iron?

Hoss
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

UPS delivered my waffle iron today

Postby davefullmer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Well, the waffle iron arrived. It was pretty much as described and pictured.

It looks like someone painted the outside with black high temp paint. The rusty spot at the center looks like where the paint fell off the iron. Inside, I don't think the black is paint, it probably is charred oil.

The handles are only about 3 1/4 inch long and I was able to unscrew them by putting the handle in a vice. The internal screws that the wood screws on seem solid, but one handle is nothing but charred wood under the ferrel.

I have a ShopSmith and I think I can turn some new handles. What should I use, Maple, Beech, or Hickory. I can get Beech or Hickory right out of my woods. Also, should I consider making some longer handles?

What is the best way to remove the high temp paint?

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Dave
Dave Fullmer
McKenzie, TN
davefullmer
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:08 am

I wouldn't use hardwoods from your woods as they won't fit once the wood dries out. I turned several handles from Eastern Maple & they should hold up for a long time, as long as they don't get in the fire. :) DannyImage
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Kevin A » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:07 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:I wouldn't use hardwoods from your woods as they won't fit once the wood dries out. I turned several handles from Eastern Maple & they should hold up for a long time, as long as they don't get in the fire. :) DannyImage

Danny,
I want to thank you for the great job you did on the waffle iron handles, they look just like the originals.
:thumbsup:
Here's some pics of one of the irons they are going in.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Next

Return to Cast Iron