dont look a gift horse in the mouth

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

dont look a gift horse in the mouth

Postby CASHCOW » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:42 pm

Got a set of "gourmet cast iron cookware" for Christmas. Not necessarily the ones we would have bought but hey.... it was a gift. Now I need to know: the inside of the dutch oven is ROUGH. I mean really rough in places. Do we need to worry about this roughness? Mike is wanting to GRIND or Sand it down......lol..... :twisted: you know men.. Get out the big tools.... I dont think it is bad enough that things will stick to it after we season it. but wanted to get some opinions.
Serro Scotty Hilander http://txmc08.blogspot.com/
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Re: dont look a gift horse in the mouth

Postby rbeemer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:07 pm

Mike and Brenda wrote:Got a set of "gourmet cast iron cookware" for Christmas. Not necessarily the ones we would have bought but hey.... it was a gift. Now I need to know: the inside of the dutch oven is ROUGH. I mean really rough in places. Do we need to worry about this roughness? Mike is wanting to GRIND or Sand it down......lol..... :twisted: you know men.. Get out the big tools.... I dont think it is bad enough that things will stick to it after we season it. but wanted to get some opinions.

After seasonining it a couple of times or cooking meats in it the roughness should lessen. I would not worry about and enjoy using the cast iron.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 pm

I too got a set CI cookware for a gift and, yes, it was a little rough (ok a lot rough). I thought about grinding the surfaces. However, after a good thorough seasoning and cooking a few times with it, nothing seems to stick or get embedded in the surfaces. Cleanup is easy too. Now get out there and get cookin”
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Eunice » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:16 pm

cook with it for awhile. If you have problems then you can think about grinding/sanding it.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Return to Cast Iron