For the Waffle-tears.

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

For the Waffle-tears.

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:08 pm

For the Waffle-tears. Doug? Dean?

A further adventure down the waffle road... http://tinyurl.com/33lw2m

What's for dinner now?? :lol: :lol:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Waffle Dinner

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:20 pm

Waffles are a great dinner, and I like the fact that they gave "savory" suggestions for putting on top. I love to have two pieces of cooked bacon embedded in a waffle for supper as well as a weekend breakfast. Putting other items on top, especially if you tone down the waffle's sweetness, is a great fast meal in a pinch. Bring your WI to the IRG for the Top Waffle.

TDN :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Great Contest for IRG 2.0

Postby Guy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:05 pm

Dear Joannie,

A DINNER waffle contest. That would make a great addition to IRG 2.0 :D
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Dear Guy,
Are you saying that you'd rather have a waffle for dinner, instead of deep pit barbeque??? :shock:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Heavens NO

Postby Guy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 pm

Dear Dino,

I would never suggest such blasphemy. I was just thinking about Wednesday and Thursday nights. 8)
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Cast Iron Waffle iron

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:25 am

Here is a question for anyone who knows which will probably be everyone here but me.
I have a ton of cast iron pans, griddles, and 1 DO. I see quite a few have these cast waffle irons which is where my questions originates.
What is the base (that the waffle iron sits in) for? Are they meant to collect heat if used on a wood stove? I am just curious. I see some have a tall base but most have the short one.

Thanks

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Re: Cast Iron Waffle iron

Postby Kevin A » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:47 am

Nitroxjunkie71 wrote:Here is a question for anyone who knows which will probably be everyone here but me.
I have a ton of cast iron pans, griddles, and 1 DO. I see quite a few have these cast waffle irons which is where my questions originates.
What is the base (that the waffle iron sits in) for? Are they meant to collect heat if used on a wood stove? I am just curious. I see some have a tall base but most have the short one.

Thanks

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Jeff,

Originally, these irons with low base were made for the old wood cookstoves. The high base irons showed up when gas stoves became popular.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:23 pm

Kevin A wrote:
Nitroxjunkie71 wrote:Here is a question for anyone who knows which will probably be everyone here but me.

Thanks

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Jeff,

Originally, these irons with low base were made for the old wood cookstoves. The high base irons showed up when gas stoves became popular.

I made a dumb guess that it was sized to fit the lid hole of the old wood burning cook stoves. remove the lid and set it in it's place. I am probably gonna catch flack for this guess. I see it as a value if you concentrate hot coals or charcoal under the iron to cook as it will act as a windscreen and concentrate the heat.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:39 pm

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:57 pm

here is a tall one on an old wood cook stove Waffle Iron on a wood stove

and one on gas stove
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Kevin A » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:09 pm

Kevin A wrote:

Thanks

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Jeff,

Just to clarify things, The above information is based on a booklet from the Alfred Andresen company from 1905. They show a standard low base waffle iron and an optional "high gas ring, 50cents extra".
"Irons revolve on either gas or ordinary stoves"
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:48 pm

Make sense if the wood stove lid WAS removed the waffle iron would revolve in the hole left by removing the lid while the gas burner grate would be in the way so you would need to raise the iron to be able to rotate it. I have used mine on our gas stove but I have to let it get near done on one side and raise the iron to about 45 degrees to spin it because of the short base. :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

thanks

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Thanks for all the great info. I have been looking around for one after hearing all the good feedback about waffles.
And then Bob has to go and send a photo of waffles being made. :shocked:
Sorry but I have to go and make some supper now! Thanks a lot Bob.

Thanks again to all who responded, now I know what I am looking at.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:59 pm

If ya can hold out till May I'll have old what's her name fix ya one.
:lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:00 pm

bobhenry wrote:If ya can hold out till May I'll have old what's her name fix ya one.
:lol:

:bowdown: :worship: :applause: :thumbs up1: :awesome:
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Next

Return to Cast Iron