Cast Iron Collection

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:01 am

Becca,
It depends on the size of the roast and weather conditions... Mainly wind.
Smaller ones have taken 2-2 1/2 hours average. (7-10 lbers)
Larger ones... (18-24 lbers) usually take longer (4-5 hrs.) but...
I've figured out that by encasing them in rock salt, you can really crank up the heat and still end up with a tender juicy result.
I also use a cable probe thermometer, mainly because of the cost of the larger cuts... So how hard can that be? :lol:
I usually dig the roast out of the salt when the meter hits 135, then tent it with foil for 15 minutes or so, with the temperature usually finishing off at 145-150.
By laying the heat to 'em, I've found that the big monsters can be ready in as little as 3 hrs. :thumbsup:

Ready for burial...

burried...

this isn't really "layin' the heat to it... would be two solid rings of briquettes...

mmm-mmm-good...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:12 am

Ok, I am drooling...

That looks so good. I have a question - what is the purpose of the rock salt? I've seen another member do the same thing. Does it just preserve the juices? Does it add salt to the meat?
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:16 am

I had to look at it again...that is one beautiful piece of meat. I'll get my husbands recipe and post it for the herb crusted rub he used. It really was good. I think he got it out of the Parade one Sunday.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Prime Rib

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:37 pm

Larger cuts of meat take longer and are more expensive, so I'd recommend a thermometer, especially a digital probe. At that cost, about $120-150 for a large size one like we did at the Dam Gathering, you don't want to ruin the meat by overcooking it. The salt draws out the juices, but keeps them sealed in. We brush off the salt before serving, but the end cut is best for those who really love salty tastes. The timing of the removal from the DO is important for when the PR reaches the temperature range (130-140 F) the meat will continue to cook internally when removed from the heat. That way the meat has a chance to finish cooking to a pink and "rest" before you do the actual cut.

Hope you'll experiment around with size of the oven and meat. Dean did a small PR for Christmas with my folks, around 12 pounds, and had tried out a new DO size. I mentioned putting down the weight, size of DO, and cooking time on the Grub List Box paper so we'd have something to refer to for future cooks. That way you have a general idea of how long to expect, how many briquets were needed, etc. Becca, let us know about the rub your hubby used. The butchers around here will season with their own special blend of rub, but last time with the smaller prime rib Dean tried out his own find of PR seasoning. Enjoy!

Joanie :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby prohandyman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:09 pm

Dean
Nice idea with the license plate wind break. Cool to look at, and folds up for storage to boot! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:17 am

Dan,
I borrowed that idea from Lee Bryant. (Lazybones)

Becca,
The salt does two things...
It brings the heat to the meat more evenly and if you get it hot enough, it seals the meat, locking the juice inside.
About that second point... That's how I discovered that cooking with higher temps. worked so well. The rock salt forms a hard shell around the meat better, than baking it at conventional temps. for the oven in your home.
The rock salt doesn't impart salt in to the meat, providing that the meat, rub or seasoning is dry... Keep the roast dry if encasing it with rock salt... No wet marinates.
Also, be sure to tent it with foil after removing it from the salt and let it rest for about fifteen minutes so it takes a set... If you cut into the meat right away, the juices will gush right out, leaving meat which tastes dry.
Yaa.. If your husband's rub is a dry one, paw-leeze share it. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:53 am

Dean and Joanie:

Here is the recipe that Brian used for his Rib Roast. He did vary the recipe a little...we didn't have rosemary so he used 1/2 Tyme 1/2 Sage.

Herb-Crusted Rib Roast

1 - 4-5 lb. standing rib roast
1/2 t. kisher salt
1/4 t. fresh ground pepper
1 t. minced garlic
3 springs fresh parsley
1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
1 t. dried rosemary (we used 1/2 t. sage, 1/2 t. tyme)
2 T. Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 325. Season roast on all sides w/salt, pepper, garlic. Place roast on rack in 13x9 baking dish. Bake for 1.5 hours.

Chop parsley coarsely. Combine in bowl with bread crumbs and rosemary (or sage and tyme).

Remove roast at 1.5 hours and coat roast with mustard and then bread crumb mixture. Bake 1 more hour or until internal temperature reaches 145. We took it out at 130.

Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!

We got this recipe for our local Sunday paper, not the Parade insert as I thought. It was delicious! Brian said he added too much sage and tyme, probably closer to a teaspoon of each instead of what I mentioned. I thought it was just wonderful! I showed him the picture of Dean's prime rib and he too said it made his mouth water. I think we will be doing another roast this weekend.

Oh, thanks for all the great advice. I keep rock salt on hand (homemade ice cream) so I am going to try that out.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Dry Rub Recipes

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:37 pm

;) Thanks, Becca & Hubby for sharing this rub with us. I'd like to hear what some other people like to use on their PR (or roasts), especially the dry rubs. I'd like to concoct one which features orange zest with the herbs and spices.

Even though it sounds strange to cook the PR in salt covering, it really does NOT get too salty tasting inside, and the end cuts are just plain crusty and decadent to a salt lover like me. I've been a salt fan from way back, but had to curtail using it as it does affect the blood pressure and water retention. I try to avoid and/or greatly reduce the amount in my food nowdays, cuz face it, most of us Americans get more than our body needs or uses. Ah, but once in awhile that end cut prevails....
:roll: :FNP
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:24 pm

I found my other 6 qt. in the garage. I scored a couple of small skillets ($6 & $8) and a corn-stick pan ($1.06), all in great shape from Goodwill.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cast Iron