Cast Iron Collection

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Cast Iron Collection

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:52 am

I am playing with Photo Bucket (Thanks MK) and had to find a place to post my collection of Iron. Still have to take a picture of my tall Waffle Iron and another 6 qt. oven. The 6 qt. oven (not pictured) and the tiny 1 qt. are old...not antique or anything, just given to me from my parents. The rest are new, some not even used yet...yet. I will never have an enourmous collection because I'd have to hide them from my husband. You can only fit so many under the spare bed :lol:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:16 pm

:shock: Holey Poo!!! That is a lot of Iron. :shock:

Sooo, whats for diner and what time? :lol:

Nice collection. :thumbsup:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:23 pm

:lol: :lol: You are a hoot MK!
I have used the very large skillet a lot camping, mostly frying catfish, so it is well seasoned. I have also used 1-6 qt. that is not pictured - I think it is in the garage or it may be the one I gave my son. If the latter case, I will just have to get another one. :twisted:
I really want a 4 qt. That would be an ideal size for 2 people.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:55 pm

very nice. Get your husband hooked on dutch oven cooking at gatherings and then you can get what ever you want. Kenny doesnt say anything to me anymore he just shakes his head and walks away.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Eunice:

Brian is so used to hearing "Oh, I've been having that", that when he "finally" sees something new that he hasn't noticed before, he just looks at me and says "Oh, you've BEEN having that". :lol:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Slayer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm just up the road in Atlanta, and I visit Ft. Myers four or five times a year. So I drive right by ya eight to ten times a year. If ya get to much iron to hide, I gotta spare bed with nothing under it but dust. I'll be glad to loan you some space. ;)
I know its the photographer, and not the camera. I'll keep shooting with a Pentax. Just in case.
Slayer
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm

I have to tell you about the very first piece I bought, which is the 14 qt. camp fryer/oven. I thought I had ordered the 4 quart (from a local place) and when I lifted up the box, I almost dropped it not realizing how heavy it was, still thinking it was the 4 qt. and thinking "holy-moly, this is a heavy pot". Well, when I got home, so excited to show my husband my great buy that I intended to use for him and I that weekend and opened that box, (had to use to hands to pull it out) he looked at me and asked if I was going to be cooking for the whole campground. Needless to say, it is still in the box - still a virgin. I still want a 4 qt.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks Slayer...I will keep you in mind although I have a lot of beds that he never looks under. In fact, I probably have Christmas gifts from years ago still hiding under some of them.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Cast Iron Hideaways

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:11 pm

TRUE STORIES OF CAST IRONITIS
(AKA D.O.O.D......Dutch Oven Obsession Disorder) Let's hear em.....

Be careful about stashing too much iron away. Dean (of the Redwoods) thought he could keep some of his newer acquisitions hidden, but I began to get suspicious when the cupboards could no longer hold groceries, and the office had lots of black pots sitting on the shelves where the catalogs and envelopes should be.

Also, if we ever have a GOOD sized earthquake, and we sometimes do, I don't want to be standing by the cupboards that are over the sink and fridge. My, but those would really do a head some damage :? Dean put a stack of the biggest pots (4 high) in the living room floor where they have lived unharmed for the last 5-6 months. I guess he thought they'd blend in after awhile, especially the HUGE 20" Cabelas and Macca 22"pots.

The beds might have been a good option at one time, but both kids have their mattresses flat on the floor because so much "stuff" seemed to magically disappear under the bed abyss that putting them down was the only way to stop this mass migration.

So, do enjoy a good time collecting CI, but don't forget to bring it out and actually use it for homecooking, not just camping and Dutch Oven Gatherings.

:lol: :lol: Have fun with the hiding......Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:01 pm

Joanie:

Thank you for that advice. When I was younger I couldn't understand the fondness my mom, dad and grandparents had for C.I. and didn't give a second thought about the food being cooked in it because it was used for the majority of the meals cooked at our hunting camp...I just thought all food was cooked that way.

I love cast iron but I don't want too much. I want to be able to use whatever I buy. But, I'm not sure about that big one getting used anytime soon - it will feed a village.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Big Feed

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Yes, indeed....we've had prime rib for 50+ and a massive amount of baked potatoes go into the GigantO one. I'd advise you stick with the small sizes as they are much easier to stash away, and you don't get a hernia moving them! That is one reason why the stack is still in the living room....I can't lift them up by myself.

:lol: TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

So it is in the DNA

Postby Guy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Becca wrote
"When I was younger I couldn't understand the fondness my mom, dad and grandparents had for C.I."

I did not realize that DOOD was a genetic disorder, I would have assumed it was environmental, from hanging out on this board.

BTW Becca, MaryK was not joking when she inquired about what was for dinner. Pensacola to Tampa, short trip, mileage measured by the menu.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 am

Guy:
After reading about Joanie cooking a rib roast, I don't know if I could top that, but I will cook anything you guys want. Can't say it would taste great but I'll cook it! I made a peach cobbler at the last gathering I went to last May (Ft. Clinch) and it turned out quite yummy or else Jim and Steve were fibbing. :roll:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Re: Cast Iron Hideaways

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:06 am

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:Have fun with the hiding......Joanie

OK, If you say so... :twisted:
Becca,
Doing a prime rib in a dutch oven is the easiest thing to cook.
I'm gonna do one of the dutch oven workshops at IRG2.0 to show folks just how easy it is. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:19 am

Dean/Joanie:

About how long do you cook it? Or due you just watch the temp. gauge to around 130? My husband just cooked a herb crusted rib roast and it was to die for! He cooked it in the oven...he's not an "iron" man. Depending on the size, I would assume it would take about 2.5 hrs.? I don't think I'll tackle one at this gathering since the menu is bbq that Sat. night but I am thinking on my next camping trip with the kids, there will be a rib roast in the "oven".

D&J, share your secrets with us.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cast Iron