camp oven cookin

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

camp oven cookin

Postby rabs » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:30 am

Hi All, 90% of recipies suggest 200c as the usual temp so I have always used the rough method of temp control, a large shovel of coals on the bottom and a level shovel of coals on top seems to be around this temprature, after 1/2 hour a small amount of coals will keep it at that temp, I would rather take an extra 1/2 hour to cook than burn the daylights out of it

cheers

Rabs
Happy to be Trailer Trash

There a 3 kinds of people that I don't like in this world, Those that can count and those that can't
rabs
Teardrop Advisor

Re: camp oven cookin

Postby HossHoffer » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:49 am

rabs wrote:Hi All, 90% of recipies suggest 200c as the usual temp so I have always used the rough method of temp control, a large shovel of coals on the bottom and a level shovel of coals on top seems to be around this temprature, after 1/2 hour a small amount of coals will keep it at that temp, I would rather take an extra 1/2 hour to cook than burn the daylights out of it

cheers

Rabs

Say, you must be related to some of the rednecks around here. A shovelful sounds about right. Now is that a square shovel or just a plain pointy one? :lol: Most of what I cook falls under the "cook until it's done" category so a good shovelful of coals and a peek every now and again usually gets it about right.

Nice to see some Kiwis in the mix. Send us some of your favorite recipes!

Hoss, more trailer trash
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

camp ovens

Postby rabs » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Howdy hosshoffer, Ye I reckon I could be related to yawl rednecks :D and I'm happy to post some recipes of my favorite campin grits :lol: but I have to ask you never ever ever call an Aussie a Kiwi cause them is fightin words around them thar hills :lol: :lol: :lol:

cheers

Rabs
Happy to be Trailer Trash

There a 3 kinds of people that I don't like in this world, Those that can count and those that can't
rabs
Teardrop Advisor

Oops

Postby HossHoffer » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Oops, lets see. I have to edit this. I'm doing this at work and lose my place or forget important facts like you are from Australia like your tag says! Sheesh. I guess them thars fuedin words! A thousand pardons. Still want to hear your favorite recipes.
Hoss
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Return to Cast Iron