DO cover

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

DO cover

Postby starleen2 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Came home from the store the other day with yet another Dutch Oven. After proper seasoning and such, I realized that did not have a cover - not that one is necessary – but I particularly don’t want to hear my CI clinking around. So off I went to the fabric store and bought some heavy denim. Wanted to used denim because it can be cleaned easily and worked very well with a home sewing machine.

1. Measure the entire height of the Dutch oven (including the lid. Add ½ to ¾ inch for stitch seam.

2. Trace around both bottom and top allowing ½ for seam. Use chalk – it erases easily. Remember to allow for side ears and spouts
3. Cut out top and bottom and mark each. Sometimes it is pretty obvious which one is which, but I mark them anyway

4. Now for the some fun at making a pattern for the side. Since the top and bottom are both different sizes, your side panel will need to be cut on a curve. You will need some large sections of paper joined to make ONE pieces to accomplish the task. This is how it is done.

5. Wrap the paper tightly around the Dutch oven

6. Fold paper around the edges tightly and mark with chalk. Trace a single line down the side where the seam will come together

7. You should get something like this.

8. Cut out pattern. Remember to allow½ to ¾ inch for stitch seam. Check paper pattern to Dutch oven for correct size. Did you remember the lid? That is why we check with paper. Much easier to waster paper than fabric.

9. Transfer to material

10. Sew bottom and side panel first

11. Turn inside out and check for fit (a little too tall, need to trim it down)

12. Cat watching (not a necessary step)

13. Now for the tricky part – sewing in the zippers (two are used)

14. Almost there

15. Finished!
A special thanks to Cindy for taking all those pictures along the way!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby ijason » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:39 am

looks like a dam nice job :thumbsup:
ijason
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:32 pm

:thumbsup: Thank you for that detailed teach. I hate zippers but might try this anyway :thumbsup: Wonder if I can find some red denim. :thinking:

I wonder also if having one zipper inset in the side might be easier. Did I tell you I hate zippers? :oops:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Can you make the top an inch or so bigger all around and then attach it to the bottom with Velcro? No zippers. :thinking:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:36 pm

For those who HATE zippers, yes velcro can be used. A one inch wide strip should do nicely. Make the top piece like a cap so it slides over the other piece and velco the two together. Now get sewin’
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Return to Cast Iron