Cast Iron Stuff?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Cast Iron Stuff?

Postby 4123 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:37 pm

Hi there,
I don't want to offend anyone but I'm wondering what all the hoy ploy is about cast iron cookware? In this day and age of 'through the roof' gas prices, it seems that light weight is the most desirable in trailers. Doesn't cast iron cookware weigh a lot? I just equipped our teardrop with a titanium cook set that has 5 pans with Teflon coating and the total weight is under 2 pounds. :thinking:
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Postby starleen2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:41 pm

It’s a matter of sacrifice. Not that we just add more weight, we just take away something else. We build em’ light so we can load em’ up with Cast Iron. But really, the true answer is that were nuts about CI and DO’s
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby doug hodder » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:00 pm

A number of us camp in groups with our tears and have potluck suppers cooked in Dutch Ovens, as well as attempting to outdo each other at waffles in the AM. It just adds to the group fun of it all, goes back to the days of the early pioneers. Just depends on how you camp. I don't carry any of it in the tear anyway so it's not a problem for me in the truck. Some people will haul a bicycle...I haul a DO. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Cast Iron Stuff?

Postby Kevin A » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36 pm

4123 wrote:Hi there,
I don't want to offend anyone but I'm wondering what all the hoy ploy is about cast iron cookware? In this day and age of 'through the roof' gas prices, it seems that light weight is the most desirable in trailers. Doesn't cast iron cookware weigh a lot? I just equipped our teardrop with a titanium cook set that has 5 pans with Teflon coating and the total weight is under 2 pounds. :thinking:

If you make it to the Dam Gathering or the IRG this spring/summer you'll likely find out what all the fuss is about during the potluck. Just be sure and bring some of that world famous Taylor Sausage with ya.... :twisted: :thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:41 pm

It's called quality of life/camping. D.O. & cast iron cooked food is so delicious compared to frying something in a Teflon pan. Besides why digest Teflon (a chemical surface) when a D.O. will give you your daily dose of iron. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:50 pm

I've done a lot of cooking in the outdoors and I've never found something so versitle as the camp style dutch ovens. (The ones with legs and an ash gaurd on the lid, using briquettes top and bottom as a heat source)
You can bake, broil, roast, stew and fry with one and they are very forgiving with the heat... Doug is the only person I know that's burn't food in one.
And Yes!!!
We Are Nuts!!! :chicken:
If you're still not sure and want to see for yourself, sign up for IRG2.0
Best food and best people you'll ever meet and Please do bring some Taylor's Smoked Polish Sausage. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:27 am

Total weight 28 lbs .

It was 28 degrees and sunny when this was taken and that hot meal was a small bit of heaven. Wish I had had a second DO for hot homemade bread.

P.S. Look up polymer fume fever on the internet !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Joanne » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:15 pm

I will agree that a whole titanium cookset is much lighter than any one of my ovens, yet I wouldn't trade. For me it's not about efficiency, it's about the love of outdoor cooking. I love the pot roast, mountain man breakfast, stuffed bell peppers, fruit cobbler and fresh bread. I enjoy cooking and eating with old and new friends.

Just like some folks can't wait to grab their fly rod and hit a stream at first light, others like to load up their pack and challenge them self on a strensous hike, I like to get up and bake some fresh biscuits, or make some hot waffles.

If the idea of sitting around the campfire eating hot peach cobbler doesn't resonate with you, my explanation won't change your mind. (Just like taking off for that strenuous hike doesn't resonate with me. :lol: ) It's that whole "Different Strokes for Different Folks" thing.

I do know that there are a few folks who are glad that I have this preoccupation with cast iron. :lol:

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby satch » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:51 pm

Does throwing a hotdog on the engine block count? :lol: 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:42 am

As long as it’s not an aluminum engine block :laughter: .
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:51 am

Joanne,
Your braided bread looks awesome!!!
Bet it was real good... :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:53 pm

Note to self: don't eat any hot dogs cooked by Satch! :roll: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:01 am

doug hodder wrote:Note to self: don't eat any hot dogs cooked by Satch! :roll: Doug

Reminds me of the Mexican guys at work that would heat their tamales etc on the head of the air compressor in foil. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby satch » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 am

doug hodder wrote:Note to self: don't eat any hot dogs cooked by Satch! :roll: Doug

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, ain't much of a cook!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:29 am

It has been slow tonight. Hang out with us at some gatherings and you'll learn more than you wanted to know on how to DO cook. Just bring a fork and a sense of humor...you won't leave wanting. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Cast Iron