Finally bought some Cast Iron this week end.

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Finally bought some Cast Iron this week end.

Postby Doberman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:10 pm

After reading all the threads/posts on cast iron here on the forum, I finally obtained some nice pieces. A #8 and #3 skillet, 10" griddle, and
a 1908 waffle iron all Griswold in primo condition. I can't wait to try my hand at outdoor cookin' (breakfast especially). Seems a lot of folks like Griswold, so that's what I wanted. It's a shame the Camp-Inn won't be ready until August.
Married 40 yrs., DAV-82nd Abn. Vietnam 68-69
Doberman
Teardrop Builder

Postby Eunice » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:36 pm

good for you! I love Griswold but cant afford most of it. I have a lot of no name and they work fine. My grisowold pieces are special though. Let us know how your breakfast turns out.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Doberman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:50 pm

We lucked out yesterday (Easter), aparently the majority of snipers were somewhere else. Before I started to bid, I noticed a #9 and a @8 skillet that went for about $12 and $16 with big block letters and in very nice shape. I knew this was too low so we stated to pay attention and picked up some nice pieces at less than normal prices. Maybe Griswold gives a higher dose of iron than Lodge :lol:
Married 40 yrs., DAV-82nd Abn. Vietnam 68-69
Doberman
Teardrop Builder

Re: Finally bought some Cast Iron this week end.

Postby Betsey » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 pm

Doberman wrote:I can't wait to try my hand at outdoor cookin' (breakfast especially). It's a shame the Camp-Inn won't be ready until August.

Heavens! Don't wait for August! Start practicing NOW and by the time you get your teardrop, you will be an expert at cooking with cast iron! :yes:

There are several of us who use them in our back yards, on the patio, etc. Just think of all the good recipes you can be trying out...breads, cobblers, stews, chilis, pizza, waffles, muffins, yummy breakfasts, pot roasts, briskets, ribs, meatballs, chicken, fish, beans, and well, we haven't even gotten to the side dishes yet! Before you know it, you'll be creating your own recipes! (Just ask Dean i.e. as in "Dean in Eureka, CA") :twisted:

I am sorry, my friend, you have already passed the point of no return....here is what you can expect from this time forward....

Now that you've been bitten by the cast iron "bug," four pieces of cast iron won't be enough! :no: (Just ask Dean!) You'll find yourself searching for that next elusive piece, stopping by yard sales, hanging out on ebay all hours of the day and night to get that final bid, names like "Wapak Indian Head," "Griswold," "Wagner" and "Lodge" will roll off your tongue with ease (Again, just ask Dean!); and "IDOS"and "DOGs" will become your best friend (no pun intended).

And when the dust clears, you won't know what hit you but you may find yourself in the same situation as Ma3tt:

And even though there is no cure....there is a support group...and they serve refreshments....all made with their cast iron! :lol:

Have fun!

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:22 am

And next comes the charcoal chimney – if you haven’t used one yet – you Will!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Ma3tt » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:54 am

Thanks for the shout out!

http://camp-cook.com
Joanne runs it. its like a campfire.

You are all invited!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Return to Cast Iron