Charcoal Questions

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby caseydog » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:09 pm

I have used lump charcoal on many occasions. It does burn hot, and pretty fast. I do like it, but you have to pay attention.

Brickettes are definitely more predictable and steady burning. I like Kingsford, but there are also some "natural" brickettes that don't use chemicals. Whole Foods Market had them. I've used them, too, but really couldn't tell a difference.

For a dutch oven, I'd go with Kingsford for the predictable, even heating.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Jim T » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:09 pm

When you make your selection, don't forget about the other factors, such as availability and your comfort level with the product. I use Kingsford, not because it is the best, but because I know how it will perform, it performs consitantly, and I can buy it at most stores in most cities. I am sure there are better products, but none that I am as comfortable with. :) Jim
Jim T
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cccamper » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:55 pm

After reading about charcoal I found this at the Kingsford site.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

.....And has been since the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for turning wood scraps from the production of Model T's into charcoal briquets. He built a charcoal plant, and the rest is history.

The Kingsford Company was formed when E.G. Kingsford, a relative of Ford's, brokered the site selection for Ford's new charcoal manufacturing plant. The company, originally called Ford Charcoal, was renamed Kingsford® Charcoal in his honor.

Today, the Kingsford Products Company remains the leading manufacturer of charcoal in the U.S. More than 1 million tons of wood scraps are converted into quality charcoal briquets every year.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = == = = = = =
I think LOTS of the oak for Kingsford comes from Missouri (think I heard that) Missouri has oak tree forests everywhere. .

e
Robert and Elizabeth - "e"
Guppy the Tiny Teardrop

"Naked people have little to no influence
on society." - - Mark Twain
cccamper
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cast Iron