Charcoal Questions

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Charcoal Questions

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:37 pm

I was wondering what kind/brand of charcoal everyone uses? I read somewhere that the fast lighting charcoal burns too fast for DO's. When I looked at Walmart it seems like all of there stuff is fast lighting. Also some claim to be 60% bigger. Would this affect the DO temp if using the same number of coals?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:28 pm

Regular old Kingsford charcoal in the blue and white bag. Put it in a chimney starter and put them on the oven when the corners have ashed. I used to wait too long and they wouldn't keep the heat long enough.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 pm

Used the Kingsford brand for awhile - then started using the Wal-mart brand, which is bigger in size and burns a bit longer. Yes, it seems that in this case size matters. I use a chimney starter on each and both light equally well with two wads of paper and no fluid.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:28 am

I use Kingsford, which I get at Costco - 40 lbs for about $11.

Whatever you do, don't buy cheap. The cheap brands may look the same, but they don't burn as hot and they go to ash a lot faster. DO cooking is all about temperature control and you can't do that as well with cheaper brands of charcoal.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 am

What there are other charcoal brands besides Kingsford ! :o
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doitright » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:16 pm

Charcoal is also about moisture. I do not buy my charcoal at Wal-Mart due to there storage of the charcoal. In the early spring they store it outside in the lawn and garden center under a awning. Here in West Tn it rains buckets in the spring and causes the charcoal to get damp. Damp Kingsford and no better than cheep charcoal and will take for ever to light. I do buy Kingsford but from a store that dose not store it outside under a awning.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:14 pm

starleen2 wrote:Used the Kingsford brand for awhile - then started using the Wal-mart brand, which is bigger in size and burns a bit longer. Yes, it seems that in this case size matters. I use a chimney starter on each and both light equally well with two wads of paper and no fluid.

The Walmart brand claims to be 60% bigger. So do you use 60% less coals to get the same temperature in your dutch oven?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby dguff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:01 am

bobhenry wrote:What there are other charcoal brands besides Kingsford ! :o

Royal Oak is a good brand. Comes in a red bag with yellow lettering.

Jerome :thumbsup:
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:21 am

dguff wrote:
bobhenry wrote:What there are other charcoal brands besides Kingsford ! :o

Royal Oak is a good brand. Comes in a red bag with yellow lettering.

Jerome :thumbsup:

Another vote for Royal Oak. Works really well and seems to leave less ash, although I have never actually measured it.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:20 pm

So far 4 people like Kingsford, 2 like Royal Oak, and one likes the Walmart brand. Thanks for the advice! Maybe I should have made this one a user poll.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:44 pm

I have used this lump charcoal but it's not what I'm used to. It bruned really hot but not for a long time. It burned up on me before I was finished. It was my fault though, I waited too long before putting the food on. I was just starting to get the hang of it when I ran out. I'd use it for grilling again but proly not for DO cooking.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:40 pm

The Walmart brand claims to be 60% bigger. So do you use 60% less coals to get the same temperature in your dutch oven?

Actually no - nor do I put in 20 % less fuel because a fuel additive makes a 20 % fuel savings claim. :shock: However I have used both and do not notice a decrease in quality. But it has taken longer for the Kingsford to light off than the Wal mart brand. Yes, I had to use fewer briquettes to achieve a consistent temp. due to the larger size - but have not sacrificed burn time or heat reduction. Perhaps a test of the major brands is order? Mythbusters anyone???
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby excalibur5 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Here is a link to a guy's site that tests charcoal.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Note he primarily focuses on the types of lump charcoal out there, and does not care for briquettes (AKA kingsford).

After getting into low & slow BBQ for a while, I primarily use lump charcoal. This is for a couple reasons--Lump burns hotter (but quicker) than the briquettes, but produces little to no ash. If I am smoking something for more than 4 hours using Kingsford, the ash produced will clog the air intakes on my smoker. Kingsford briquettes produce 3-4 times the volume of ash that the same quantity of lump will produce..

For DO cooking, the standard briquettes work well, and it is easier to tell how much you are using by just counting the # used as they are uniform in size, and ash production is a non-issue, generally.

Personally, I like both Royal Oak and Cowboy brand lump charcoal for grilling and smoking, as there are no fillers and coal in them, which I don't want in my food. Generally I just use kingsford (its easier to find) for DO cooking.

And yes, I swear by my chimney starter. If you don't have one, get one--you will never go back. They light coals REALLY quick if you put them over the propane flame on a outdoor turkey cooker. (ready to cook in 10-12 minutes, vs. 20-30)
excalibur5
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:43 pm

excalibur5 wrote:Here is a link to a guy's site that tests charcoal.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

In your link there is a section " OTHER CHARCOAL TESTING"

It's in 2 sections old kingsford vs new kingsford and a section testing lump vs bricket in 5 different varietys. It's worth a read , kinda interesting.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GregB » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:02 pm

I still have several boxes left of Kamado's 2003, extruded coconut charcoal, some of the best I've ever used. Check the Naked Whiz's review of the most recent and the older for info.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron