Griswold waffle iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Griswold waffle iron

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:54 pm

I have a Griswold American #8, pat'd Dec. 1, 1908 #886 waffle iron. Other than some rust and flaking seasoning, it appears to be in great condition. Does anyone know what the value of this would be. I will be cleaning this up and trying to make waffles, so interested in value only, not for sale.

Art
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and will preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Dunkin Donuts Coffee in one hand, Duffy roll in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby dguff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Hello,
You could check on ebay under "cast waffle" to see what is for sale. Griswold, Wagner and others are there. I would say the average griswold goes for about $25 to $30 plus shipping.

Jerome :)
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:06 pm

I have the book of wagner and griswold. It states #8 7 1/2" diameter 886 has a value of $150 -200.
The value is whatever you could get someone to pay for it.
I love griswold so to me it would be priceless.
On ebay I have seen the prices skyrocket when we were all buying them!
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks for the information. Now I need to get busy cleaning and seasoning it.

Art
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and will preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Dunkin Donuts Coffee in one hand, Duffy roll in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi

Do you need to use a base with the waffle iron? If so, does anyone know where I might find just a base.

Art
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kevin A » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Art & Pat Burns wrote:Hi

Do you need to use a base with the waffle iron? If so, does anyone know where I might find just a base.

Art

Not sure how you would cook waffles in it without a base.
Keep an eye on e-bay, I see them on there occasionally without the iron.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:58 am

Art & Pat Burns wrote:Hi

Art

Most irons have a round ball hinge with an indexing pin. My iron would not stay together without the base. Is your wafle iron hinged in such a way it stays together without a base.

The problem of finding a base only is 2 fold first they come as a set and they are not standardized brand x 's iron may not fit brand y's base. The other problem is the cast base is about as fragile as an egg if it is dropped just right it will explode leaving behind an orphan iron. I am sure this has happened to many irons.
I would think if you really wanted to construct a base a cheap steel ( Not cast iron ) skillet and a piece of pipe in the right diameter to fit the ball would be all you need. Have a hole cut in the bottom of the skillet the diameter of the iron.
you will use the skillet base upside down from its normal function the short pipe is welded to the skillit bottom which is now the top of the base.
next relieve one side of the pipe so the ball of the iron can be lifted and rotated. Not knowing exactly how the iron is built a can't help you here.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Thanks Bob, you nailed it, ball hinge that won't stay together. I like your idea for a homemade base, I have also seen a base used under a wok that could be modified if I can find one in a junk store.

Art
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:38 pm

I just did a Google search for a Wok ring and found this, http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/ac ... kring.html. Cheap enough to try and modify.

Art :twisted:
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:45 pm

I don't what happened to the link, let's try this.
www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/accessori ... kring.html

Art :thinking:
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kevin A » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:46 pm

Art,

As I mentioned earlier, the bases show up on E-bay quite frequently.
Here's one that just showed up. Griswold Base
It'll be much less trouble than trying to make something.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Kevin

Thanks for the tipoff, bid is in, let's see how it goes! :thumbsup:

Art
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:46 am

I'll be I looked for ya Monday A.M. and I missed it ! Great find hope it fits.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi All

I'm still the only bidder! Keep your fingers crossed.

Art
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Postby Art & Pat Burns » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:10 pm

:cry: I LOST!

I guess it will be Eggo's this Sunday! :x

Art
Art & Pat Burns
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cast Iron