Tall or short Waffle base?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Tall or short Waffle base?

Postby doitright » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:46 pm

What should I buy the waffle iron with the short base or the tall base. I need to know fast. It is hard to believe but my wife would like a waffle iron to take camping with us. She has a fit if I look at a DO now that we have three of them. Ok ok I have 5 of them she has found all my hidding places :thumbdown: and is looking over my sholder. What I would like to know is what one will cook the best. Also would a 9" or a 8" be better for a family of three.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Re: Tall or short Waffle base?

Postby Kevin A » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 pm

doitright wrote:What should I buy the waffle iron with the short base or the tall base. I need to know fast. It is hard to believe but my wife would like a waffle iron to take camping with us. She has a fit if I look at a DO now that we have three of them. Ok ok I have 5 of them she has found all my hidding places :thumbdown: and is looking over my sholder. What I would like to know is what one will cook the best. Also would a 9" or a 8" be better for a family of three.

One of each, you know you're gonna anyway. ;)
#8 is the most common size.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby bobhenry » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:21 am

I intend to use mine occasionally over charcoal and could see a definate advantage to the taller base for this type of use. The depth would allow for more coals and a faster cooking time. However if you intend to only use in on a burner the shallow base would put the iron closer to the flame.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doitright » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:53 pm

That is what I was thinking. If I use charcoal I would need the tall base, and it is also the one to be used on a gas stove. I will go with the tall base and then get the short base when my wife is not looking.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Gaston » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:33 pm

related question.
How tall is the tall base?? I just acquired a Crescent waffler #8 made by Fanner mfg in Cleavland OH. it is a short base but has tabs that will center it on a section of tube to use as a tall base only I don't know how long to make the "booster" tube cause I don't know how tall the "tall" is . Also has anyone else any information on the "Cresent Waffler"
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron