a question about using a do table

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

a question about using a do table

Postby NWsage » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi,
I hope this isn't a stupid question ... but, I'm trying to understand the need & benefits of using a table for do cooking.

I was a trail cook for several summers where I learned to cook with do's. We packed in by mule the do's and charcoal. When cooking for dinner, we just placed the bottom layer of coals directly on the dirt or on foil if the ground was damp. Even when we cooked at base camp, we didn't use any do tables.

Now that I'm considerably older, I can see the benefits of not having to bend over or kneel so much ... but, as I recall, once the meal is baking, I didn't do much more than monitor the correct heat distribution and turn the oven and/or lid with a lid holder, if needed.

I will want to bring my do's in our new (to us) little teardrop every now and again. But, I also want to keep our load as light as possible. That is, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth having a table.

Please, let me know what I'm missing by not having a table ... :thinking:

Thanks, Suanne
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Ask Joanne, Matt or Dean. They are the DO experts here. If you feel inclined go to the camp-cook link in the above menu and It'll take you to Joanne's forum for all thing camp cooking, including DO tables.

Hope this helps.
Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Suanne,
That's a darned good question...
Tables mainly came about from competition cooking with requirements from property owners where cookoffs take place, that briquettes must be elevated above the ground... Health department issues and concerns as well.
I got by for a long time without one, using concrete blocks and pizza pans.
Even after switching over to a table, I managed to scorch some grass real good during a cookoff using a poor excuse of an ash bucket.
DO tables work great... Don't have to bend over so far. :lol:
They are also handy with use of wind shielding as well...
It's easier to get repeted results each time too...
I was concerned about weight too, so I built mine out of aluminum... A mule wouldn't even flinch. :R
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby NWsage » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:05 pm

mandy wrote:If you feel inclined go to the camp-cook link in the above menu and It'll take you to Joanne's forum for

Thanks Mandy. I remembered there was another forum ... just couldn't figure out what it was and how to get there!

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Tables mainly came about from competition cooking with requirements from property owners where cookoffs take place, that briquettes must be elevated above the ground... Health department issues and concerns as well ... It's easier to get repeted results each time too ... I was concerned about weight too, so I built mine out of aluminum...

That's good information ... makes sense. I'll have to visit a cookoff and check out the tables first hand ... who knows, maybe I'll have to indulge in a table myself as well! Thanks.
;)
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:47 am

It helps to keep your deck from burning down. :cry:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby doug hodder » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:53 am

But George...just think of all the new "friends" you met from the fire department! Now they know where you live so next time it won't take them long to get there... :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Yea, and their still talking about my blue berry cobbler down at the fire house. :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Goes to show yaa... Some guys will do anything to get a new deck. :R
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby cherokeegeorge » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:53 pm

my deck looks good plus they painted the entire back of my house. I have friends call me to make cobblers at their house because they want home repairs. :lol:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby doug hodder » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:23 am

Hey George...with all the smoke we have up here in Nor Cal, I was wondering if you were cooking? :thinking: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby cherokeegeorge » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:58 am

I thought you guys were testing out the pit at Pamplin. :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Re: a question about using a do table

Postby Joanne » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:49 pm

NWsage wrote:Hi,
I hope this isn't a stupid question ... but, I'm trying to understand the need & benefits of using a table for do cooking.

I was a trail cook for several summers where I learned to cook with do's. We packed in by mule the do's and charcoal. When cooking for dinner, we just placed the bottom layer of coals directly on the dirt or on foil if the ground was damp. Even when we cooked at base camp, we didn't use any do tables.

Now that I'm considerably older, I can see the benefits of not having to bend over or kneel so much ... but, as I recall, once the meal is baking, I didn't do much more than monitor the correct heat distribution and turn the oven and/or lid with a lid holder, if needed.

I will want to bring my do's in our new (to us) little teardrop every now and again. But, I also want to keep our load as light as possible. That is, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth having a table.

Please, let me know what I'm missing by not having a table ... :thinking:

Thanks, Suanne

Hi Suanne,

From my standpoint there are a couple of advantages to a table...cooking at a comfortable height, a nice wind screen, and not damaging the foliage. The down side is one more piece of equipment to haul around. If you are looking for a full size table, both Camp Chef and Lodge make nice tables that take apart for easy transport.

If you are looking for a compact cooking stand I have a few of these little guys available. The legs fold up so it packs very compact. (drop me a PM if you want one)

Of course there's always a metal oil pan (chicken feed pans work fine too). I cooked in oil pans for several years before I made my own table (the top picture).

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:13 am

Keep an eye out for Cabela ads if there is a store near you. There are none close to LA but i was able to pick up a table in Phoenix on a trip through there. The wind screen is not as tall as Joanne's but it works fine for me. I think it was $69 and I took home the floor model.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Re: a question about using a do table

Postby NWsage » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:12 am

Joanne wrote:... a couple of advantages to a table...cooking at a comfortable height, a nice wind screen, and not damaging the foliage. The down side is one more piece of equipment to haul around ...

If you are looking for a compact cooking stand I have a few of these little guys available ...

Thanks for the info Joanne. I was at the second hand store the other day trying to see what I could find that would be compact enough for my needs. I found a pizza pan, but nothing I thought would work to keep it up off the ground.

What are the measurements of that compact cooking stand? That just might fit the bill.

dmb90260 wrote:Keep an eye out for Cabela ads if there is a store near you...

The closest Cabela Store to me is about 60 miles south. I happen to be going that direction this weekend ... so, I think I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead!

Suanne
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:28 pm

double duty is the creed of a true teardropper. I found out a 12" dutch oven just fits in a 14 1/2 " smokey Joe Junior grill. Works great as a wind screen and while it is not exactly a table it does get the oven off of the ground slightly. And I still got a grill with me too!!

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Next

Return to Cast Iron