Cast iron wok

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Cast iron wok

Postby WarPony » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Anybody ever use the Mr. Bar-B-Q cast iron wok before? I bought one off Ebutt last week and it arrived today. Haven't even cleaned it off or seasoned it........ IT'S 14" IN DIAMETER!!!!!! Cripes, I could feed an army with this thing!!

I don't like asian/oriental food but like the shape of the bowl and was more interested in using it to cook breakfast food or chicken strips in.

Are there any other uses for woks?

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:10 pm

a really heavy hat??? Sitz bath????
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Gaelen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:40 am

Jeff--Asian cooks use woks for just about any kind of cooking that you can think of.

Since yours is cast iron, the heat will be heaviest in the center by the flame, but still travel up the sides--handy for fast cooking stuff on the bottom while you more slowly cook or keep warm or finish off stuff along the sides closer to the top (also depends on the slope of your sides.) I'm guessing a 14" dia. cast iron wok is probably pretty heavy!

- You can treat it exactly like the biggest frying pan you own.
- If the sides slope deeply enough, you can deep fry in it--and have less of a chance of boil over (keep your oil level under 3" deep though!)
- In steel woks, you can boil and steam, too, so you can probably boil pasta or cook rice and steam whatever you want (veggies, corn, seafood)--those covered bamboo steamer baskets fit right inside a wok. Now that's a clambake!
- With the right setup and some type of universal lid, you could smoke in it (wet wood chips on the bottom, a grid to rest the food on, the food, a lid and you're in business). Again, that bamboo steamer basket could come in handy.
- A good tight fitting universal lid can turn it into a baking oven or a roaster. Put it over low heat and just let it go.
- great paella or rice and beans or chili pan--and you can serve right in it!

A wok is one of those pans I wouldn't be without--a good (properly sized and designed) one is versatile enough to do everything from fry an egg to make a soup/stew to roast whatever to bake in. And while I do like Asian food, and they're perfect for that, they also work great for lots of other kinds of cooking.

Great purchase!
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:36 pm

Jeff,
You might talk to Kevin... He was talking about buying one a while back.

Ebutt... :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby EffieRover » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:44 am

Found this thread while looking for other stuff. I also bought that same wok - love it!!! My family likes it when I make:

- stir fry, obviously
- pasta primavera (you can whip up a beautiful rue in the bottom of a wok with the veggies pushed up the sides; I pre-cook the pasta and toss it in to heat up when camping)
- tamale pie (meat, beans & onions browned in the bottom, cover with polenta & cheese, then bake - that one's not camp-friendly)
- soup. Yes, soup. Brown your meat & onions, then add your liquids and simmer. Pumpkin soup is particularly delicious. Especially with roast beef sandwiches on garlic bread.
- mediterranean meal (smoked sausage, tortellini, squash, carrots, red peppers and onions all cooked by frying together in one pan)
- cowboy dinner (three kinds of beans, beef, seasonings, then sit it in the ashes and let it infuse flavors all day - this one needs a lid, I borrowed one from a pot)

I love the fact that it is well balanced and sits nicely on top of a coleman single burner. No, it's not too heavy. Looks like it's going to fall over, but it's not. Glad to see someone else with this monster. She's so popular, she occupies a permanent burner on my stove when not in the camping bin. I never even bothered finding a storage spot in the kitchen - she's never put away!
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Postby rbeemer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 am

I cook popcorn in mine...a good way to season it also
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Eunice » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:36 pm

Where is the pic????????
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Homemade wok

Postby HossHoffer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:04 pm

Since we're on the subject of woks, I made my own camp wok. You take a harrow disk from the farm, weld in and grind the center hole. Then weld three evenly spaced nuts to the underside. Thread a bolt into each nut for legs and you have a beautiful wok that you can set right down over the coals. I used SS bolts plus I welded on a handle. I'm sorry but I'm at work right now and can't post any pics. I'll try and remember tomorrow.

Hoss
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Postby time travel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:37 pm

I just went to ebutt and saw what you bought. I might get one! I like the idea of it has a flat bottom for stability.

time travel
Teardrop Advisor

Postby EffieRover » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:05 pm

time travel wrote:I just went to ebutt and saw what you bought. I might get one! I like the idea of it has a flat bottom for stability.

I thought I wanted a round-bottom non-stick, until I did the research. The flat bottom helps transfer heat from the flame to the inside of the wok and protects the heat source from damage ... or so the most knowledgeable people say. I only know I melted my last wok, so I wanted a good solid one this time.

Got that. It's a heavy sucker, but a joy to cook in. Heats nice and evenly over electric stove, gas BBQ grill and coleman burner. I keep a 1/2" thick bamboo placemat around to set it on when it's piping hot off the burner. Someday I'm going to get fond enough of it to call it 'her' and give her a name. Think I'm slippin already :)
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:05 am

EffieRover wrote:Someday I'm going to get fond enough of it to call it 'her' and give her a name. Think I'm slippin already :)

:thinking:
Wokelle?

Woktoria?

Wokenzie?

Wokelyn?

Hey, just tryin' ta help! 8)

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby dreadcptflint » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:37 am

Hoss are you talking about a Discada? Here is a place that sells them: http://www.southwestdisk.com/ There appears to be quite a following in Northern Mexico and the southern US. I am more than curious to see some pictures in action and how well it compares to a traditional wok.

:o
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Like That

Postby HossHoffer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:16 pm

dreadcptflint wrote:Hoss are you talking about a Discada? Here is a place that sells them: http://www.southwestdisk.com/ There appears to be quite a following in Northern Mexico and the southern US. I am more than curious to see some pictures in action and how well it compares to a traditional wok.

:o

Hmmm :thinking: interesting. I have never seen that before but it is about the same. Although the disk I used was deeper like a wok. With a shallow disk like that I don't think you would need a flat bottom to keep the heat in. Just one more thing to make for the camping gear. If you look in the "Our Products" section the one I have is similar to the UFO although the legs aren't as long. Thanks for the link!
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:29 am

dreadcptflint wrote:Hoss are you talking about a Discada? Here is a place that sells them: http://www.southwestdisk.com/ There appears to be quite a following in Northern Mexico and the southern US. I am more than curious to see some pictures in action and how well it compares to a traditional wok.

Same concept as a wok - fast cooking on a small but hot fire because of limited fuel. But with the discada you can turn it over and use it as a Mongolian BBQ! :lol:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:26 pm

time travel wrote:I just went to ebutt and saw what you bought. I might get one! I like the idea of it has a flat bottom for stability.

I've got this same Wok and love it. I have fried fish, wings and made chicken w/yellow rice in it. I really love it.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron