chicken fryer...how deep on the oil? now with pics!

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby BrwBier » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:28 am

To make home made potato chips. A long time ago we got a kit to make microwave potato chips which included a plastic tray with a blade in it set at the right depth for potato chips. It didn't work to make chips in the microwave but we never got rid of it. The first time we made a turkey we used the cutter to slice potatoes and they turned out just great. Just drop them in the oil and wait till they pop up to the surface and just turn a little brown. We have been using the same peanut oil for years and have never filtered it. It never smells rancid and looks clear so we keep using it.
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:51 am

doug hodder wrote:Dennis...I figure if I let cool some...I have a stack of paint filters that will work.... :lol: :lol: in spite of the emoticons...I'm serious! Do you use wonton wraps or an egg batter on the rellenos? Had'em both ways. Doug

Go to Camp-cook and check Mandy's Rellenos in the Main Dish section. I have been using that one. Luckily, I still have an old Fry Daddy pot that works jut right..
There are pictures here The Diner In The Dale

My only tip is to drop them straight into the oil and NOT lay them in the strainer first. I did that one time and the batter leaked through the mesh and stuck. Made for some still tasty but ugly rellenos.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:07 am

Colonel Doug,
Looking forward to your fried chicken, gravy and mashed potatoes at Hat Creek. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Chicken and oil

Postby HossHoffer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:00 pm

For pan frying half way up the pan is perfect. For deep frying like KFC then of course you need enough to cover the chicken. We ran some chicken franchises in the 70s that stole the recipe and cooking method from KFC. Their mothod is to use a milk and egg wash then put it in the seasoning mixture (salt pepper, paprika, onion salt, msg, flour, etc) and press it into the chicken. They cooked it in oil in a pressure cooker, droping the chicken in when it reached 400 degrees.

As far as the oil, we filtered it after every batch and added oil as needed. Add some Crisco once in awhile as it contains an anti-foaming additive. Back in the day we used a large strainer and paper towels but now have purchased a nice filter from the kitchen store. And our home recipe doesn't include the msg.

Hoss
HossHoffer
Teardrop Master

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:19 pm

Doug:

Here is today's order of Chili Rellenos.

They would go well with a mess of chicken and cold beer. (Red Seal of course.)
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:49 pm

Thanks Dennis...I'm at the store today and the Mexican place is closed
beings it's Labor day...I ate a tuna sandwich....this local guy makes a good relleno. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Joanne » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Hey Doug,

This is a great thread! Lot's of good information and techniques. The only thing I would add is that the goal with pan frying is to have the oil come half way up the side of the food, not the pan. That way when you turn the food over to cook the other side it will cook evenly.

It can take a bit of practice to judge how much oil is necessary to achieve 1/2 way up the food since you have to add the oil and get it hot before adding the food. And adding the food raises the level of the oil in the pan as it displaces it. It's not real critical, just that you can probably use less oil than you would expect.

Here's a couple of old chicken friers. The one on the left is a Wagner that my mom left me. The one on the right is one my friend Kelly picked up the other day at a local antique shop.

Good cook'n!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby tk » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:08 pm

If you want all the flavor and damn the health issues, use no oil at all: In order of preference use bacon fat, lard or shortening. Nothing else except peanut oil (maybe) yields the crispiness essential to my mama's fried chicken. My opinion.

Best,
Tom
Escape to Missouri
tk
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:00 pm

Well, I cooked some up tonight...used corn oil that's why it appears so yellow, but it's what I had...turned out really juicy, not oily...also made up a load of gravy for the mashed potatoes and had some corn on the cob. I put about a 1/2" in the fryer to start. Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby satch » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:09 pm

Stop it I'm drooli'n
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:31 pm

Doug:

A fine holiday classic dinner, what I seemed to grow up on in the South long before KFC..
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:18 am

doug hodder wrote:Well, I cooked some up tonight...used corn oil that's why it appears so yellow, but it's what I had...turned out really juicy, not oily...also made up a load of gravy for the mashed potatoes and had some corn on the cob. I put about a 1/2" in the fryer to start. Doug

They don't look so good...just send them to me and I'll test em out for you. 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:45 pm

:thumbsup: Joanne's right. Half way up the chicken so look at the thigh and decide how much from there. If you get the oil too high it will splatter to the top and mess up the crisp other side you were going to have. 8)

If you like real crisp chicken then add some corn meal to the mix. I add salt, pepper, garlic and a pinch of basil. ;)

Oh and CRISCO ONLY! :thumbsup: To keep the Crisco for next time let it harden and you can separate the bad from the good.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to Cast Iron