Uses for Dutch Oven lid

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Uses for Dutch Oven lid

Postby Lgboro » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:17 pm

I was wondering if anyone has used the lid of their DO as a pizza stone on their grill. Lodge states that their Camp DO lid can be flipped over and used as a griddle. I once bought a small pizza stone that worked well but it didn't hold up with the heat my patio grill puts out (the temp pegs out at 700 degrees). If i put my crust directly on the grill at 450 to 500 degrees a couple of spots on the bottom of the crust usually char a little. I'll probably pick up a DO soon especially if I can get dual use out of it and give it a try (or buy a lid when I run across a replacement lid for sale). I've been wanting to try a DO since reading some of your post anyway.
Lgboro
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:53 pm

Yeap... You can do a pizza on the lid. Some flip the entire DO upside down to bake pizzas.
I do pizzas in the DO quite a bit, but don't flip the oven upside down... Tried it a couple of times and experimented around with using two lids and a steel ring.
I really thought I was on to something with the ring and lids, but my best results are baking in a DO the regular way... Oh Yaa, I use parchment paper as well.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Lgboro » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Thanks Dean for the information. I cook a lot and haven't even thought of parchment paper to reduce the charring on the grill.
Lgboro
500 Club

pizza

Postby doitright » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:17 pm

In the old gas ovens at pizza places they used corn meal under the pizza. It kept it from sticking and burrning. You may try a sprinkle of corn meal on the grill to keep down the char and it also taste good.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Side note on parchment paper

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:21 am

8)Dean also uses cornmeal under the pizzas, a special grade, coarse, that he's found at one of the Mexican Markets. Parchment paper is the best.... bought a case of it, commercial size, from the local grocery outlet. It can be cut to various sizes and I use it for just about all the cooking I can at home. It works great for lifting out pizzas to cool 'em and then cut. Lasagnes, cookies, etc. come out smoothly with minimal clean up.
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby dmb90260 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:53 am

I have developed a taste for that burnt corn meal with my pizza's. :o But it sure does help slide the pizza off the stone that lives in my oven. I have been using the standard Argo (?) brand of cornmeal but ran short the last time I made Mandy's Chili Relleno's and now have a small bag from my local mercado. With all the big markets closing small stores, Garcia's is a handy place to shop these days. An added plus is better chichironnes too.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Mike B » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:27 am

Parchment paper also works well when you are doing pineapple upside down cake in the DO.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Lgboro » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:48 pm

I tried parchment paper under a pizza on the grill last night and the flame and high heat of my Patio Caddie caught it on fire. So I took my Dremel and cut the handle off of a 10 1/2 inch Lodge Griddle to use as a pizza stone. I reseasoned the griddle and cooked a pizza on the grill with good results. My grill is a very hot grill and is very hard to stabilize a temp of less than 500 degrees. I know that defacing a piece of cast iron is probably a capital offense to some of you guys but I can buy another for 15 bucks or so and a small pizza stone (that didn't hold up to the heat) cost more than that for a small one that isn't available locally.

You gotta love the durability and versatility of cast iron! I will be able to use the cast iron pizza stone with my Tear grill if I ever am able to finish my tear.
Lgboro
500 Club

Postby Gaelen » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Lgboro--my one and only camp DO is a Camp Chef Lewis & Clark commemorative 10" six-quart oven.
http://www.barbecues.com/1/1/10785-camp ... do-10.html

One of the things I liked about it (besides that it was on clearance last year at Dicks) is that it's two pots in one...the 6qt DO bottom, and a handle-less griddle/skillet lid. The lid is about 1 1/2" deep, with its own little legs. It's terrific for pizza--I've even used it to make pizza in my home oven. Also works great for frittatas, pancakes and quesadillas.

I have circles of parchment that fit the DO top and bottom perfectly (and they were on clearance, so I bought them to go with my roll of parchment paper.) Cut to size with no overhanging edges, and with the cornmeal on the bottom of the crust, the parchment paper doesn't burn--but my home oven is electric and my grill is charcoal.
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Micro469 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:48 pm

Lgboro wrote:I tried parchment paper under a pizza on the grill last night and the flame and high heat of my Patio Caddie caught it on fire. So I took my Dremel and cut the handle off of a 10 1/2 inch Lodge Griddle to use as a pizza stone. I reseasoned the griddle and cooked a pizza on the grill with good results. My grill is a very hot grill and is very hard to stabilize a temp of less than 500 degrees. I know that defacing a piece of cast iron is probably a capital offense to some of you guys but I can buy another for 15 bucks or so and a small pizza stone (that didn't hold up to the heat) cost more than that for a small one that isn't available locally.

You gotta love the durability and versatility of cast iron! I will be able to use the cast iron pizza stone with my Tear grill if I ever am able to finish my tear.

That's a neat Grill. Is it cast iron? and what make is it???? :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lgboro » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:15 pm

Its a CharBroil Patio Caddie I think it is called. Its small and cooks really hot. The big box store carry this one most of the time. It pegs the thermometer at 700 degrees and keeps on going. One of the food channel chefs used this one on a morning show because he said it was one of the hottest grills he could find.
Lgboro
500 Club

Return to Cast Iron