What do you call them?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

What do you call them?

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:31 pm

What are those huge cast iron pots with round bottoms called that hang over a camp fire?
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Postby JIML1943 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:35 pm

A witch's pot.

:lol:

witches couldron
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary K » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Yup, a cauldron!

Image :lol:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine has one sitting :( Outside :o in front of his house with :cry: Dirt :x in it but this thing is huge. I am trying to see if he wants so part with it but wondered how I would season something this big. I don't have photos right now but will post some later. What I can see seems to be in good shape but what I can't see worries me. The tabs for the handle are there with no handle.
Jeff
Image Image Image
The Deepest spot in Lake Superior, the largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Location: Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Greenfield Indiana

Warsh pot

Postby doitright » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:25 pm

The large ones are wash pots or lard pots around here. Look out of it real good it maybe cracked. Here in West Tn. lots of people use a old wagon wheel ring and hang the old pots with flowers. :( The problem is in the winter they freese and crack. :cry: Then it good for only flowers. Now and again I see a good one for about $65.00 - $100.00. Years ago when I did not how much fun cast iron is I had about 6 large post I got from cleaning out a barn. I sold the for $35.00 each. Now I do not have any of them.
Kevin
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Laredo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:34 pm

they were used to boil wash water and/or laundry.
also for making lye soap.

There are several sizes; five gallon, eight gallon, and ten gallon most common.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:03 am

Thanks.

The one I am looking at can be had for $10. It is 26 1/2 inches across at the top and sitting under a over hang protected from the weather. I plan to go check it out this weekend. Thanks again for the info.
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby Jst83 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:31 am

Jeff think of the beans that can be cooked in that :twisted: You could feed a whole gathering :lol:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:37 am

Jst83 wrote:Jeff think of the beans that can be cooked in that You could feed a whole gathering

It would hold a mess of beans, that's for sure!
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:35 pm

If it's really old, it may have been used for rendering whale-blubber; in the old days of mercury mining, they would use them to hold the huge amounts of quick-silver before decanting.
If you want a great way to season something big, you may want to heat it up on a big out door propane burner/stove; heat it slowly at first, then turn the heat way up and spray it with salad oil till it smokes. Eventually it will turn black, turning into an "enamel coating"; this kind of coating is bullet-proof and will take a pretty good scrubbing when you clean it. I "bullet-proof" all my cast iron like this and I never have a sticking problem. I got my Mom's 1910 Wagner Ware waffle-iron, it has a beautiful gloss-black enamel patina that's hard as a rock and cleans up with a stick. Her old griddle has a pretty amazing one too, but it's not shiny, but non-stick all the same.
If it's cracked, just take it to a shop and have the sucker welded, a competent welder should be able to fix it for you without much fuss. The weld will give it character too, and people will know "It aint no sissy kettle!"
Slim
Slim and Gabby
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitroxjunkie71 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:21 pm

I wanted to post an update on this thread. Back in October I stopped by and checked out the pot and like many said here, the bottom was cracked in a million pieces. I could see daylight as soon as I started rolling it on it's side. :cry:

I am going to keep looking though. 8)
Jeff
Image Image Image
Nitroxjunkie71
cargotrlrman

Postby Mike B » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:10 am

One of the members of the local Dutch oven cooking group I belong to has a cauldron. We used it this summer to help with the dedication of this new Coeur d'Alene, ID city park. We made Hunter's stew in the cauldron.

We filled the thing right up to the top. With that and all the Dutch oven dishes we made ( I did 5 pineapple upside-down cakes and a 14" oven full of sourdough bisuits), we fed the 1,000 people who attended the dedication. With no food left over. :)

Here's part of our setup for the dedication. The licenses plates are my windscreen. The guy in the top hat is Lloyd, who owns the cauldron. He's also a member of the local muzzle loaders group.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Mike C. » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:39 pm

:D Mike that is one big ol' cauldron!!!!

What kind of lid does it have? It looks like a two-piece wooden lid?????
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Mike B » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:30 pm

Mike C. wrote::D Mike that is one big ol' cauldron!!!!

What kind of lid does it have? It looks like a two-piece wooden lid?????

It's a homemade lid, just made out of scrap lumber. When Lloyd got the cauldron, it had no lid and that's something you really need for a lot of recipes.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Return to Cast Iron