Gold Griswold Waffle Iron

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Gold Griswold Waffle Iron

Postby Keith » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:54 pm

I found a Griswold #8 waffle iron that is a gold color. Does anyone know if this was a factory finish or did someone paint it to make it look better?

Keith
Keith
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Hard to say without a pic Keith...but if it has been bead blasted and then only has a light seasoning on it, it could appear goldish, but wouldn't look like a paint job on it. Does it scratch like paint? Having spent a ton of time looking through Kevins "bible" on cast iron...nothing about a gold waffler. If in doubt...go ahead and season it. If the smoke alarms go off and it catches fire in the oven...it's probably paint... :lol: :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:54 am

doug hodder wrote:...nothing about a gold waffler. If in doubt...go ahead and season it. If the smoke alarms go off and it catches fire in the oven...it's probably paint... :lol: :lol: Doug

If not just send it to me....I'm sure I can have it melted down in short order. There's got to be quite a few troy ounces there!!!! 8) :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Steve Stephens » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:24 pm

The choices Griswold gave its waffle iron customers were black iron, nickel plated iron (pretty rare) and aluminum. An aluminum "iron" might look somewhat gold with some seasoning on it or, like Doug said, the color may be that way if the iron was blasted.

Doug, nice meeting you yesterday at the ralley on the river. I love your teardrop! I was talking to you about your missing Griswold hammered cover for your deep skillet.

Steve
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cast Iron