are there any CI brands that should be avoided?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

are there any CI brands that should be avoided?

Postby pepsifreek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:14 pm

My wife and I are planning a cross country trip in December (Brrr) and want to do some dutch oven cooking. I have Lodge 12 QT DO that was great when the kids were still with us but now that it's just me and the wife I'm looking for something a bit smaller. I'm thinking about a 2.5 or a 4 QT (or maybe a 2.5 and a 4 QT :twisted: ) and a "double" pie iron.

I only have experience with lodge and wagner and would buy either but are there any brands that I should avoid?

Thanks!
Tracy
Adversity builds character.
pepsifreek
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:11 pm

I would check out the info on CI here

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Mike... ;)
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:43 pm

The 10", 4 quart Lodge seems pretty good for smaller main dishes. The new 6" size is getting a lot of attention for side dishes and dessert- the Yahoo "dutchovencooking" group is having a recipe contest to generate interest.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:41 pm

Can't think of any brands to stay away from...
Check for wall thickness consitancy... Thin areas can cause problems.
Make sure lid contacts top of oven wall evenly all the way around... Ill fitting lids are no fun.
If buying used items, like off of ebay... Be aware that some cast iron has been used for melting lead instead of cooking.
Last edited by Dean in Eureka, CA on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby madjack » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:50 pm

...would say ditto to all Dean said ESPECIALLY the parts about thickness and lid fit...I also have a cheapie skillet, which I THINK came from Harbor Freight...it will not take a seasoning...no matter how long, how hot or what I have tried, it continues to ooze an oily residue, in a streak across the inside bottom...not very appetizing looking........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: are there any CI brands that should be avoided?

Postby Joanne » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:02 pm

pepsifreek wrote:My wife and I are planning a cross country trip in December (Brrr) and want to do some dutch oven cooking. I have Lodge 12 QT DO that was great when the kids were still with us but now that it's just me and the wife I'm looking for something a bit smaller. I'm thinking about a 2.5 or a 4 QT (or maybe a 2.5 and a 4 QT :twisted: ) and a "double" pie iron.

I only have experience with lodge and wagner and would buy either but are there any brands that I should avoid?

Thanks!
Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Any brand oven can put out a nice meal. From time to time all of the brands have a bad oven slip through quality control. I tend to buy Lodge ovens. Not because they are the "best" (whatever "best" means), but because they are still made in the US. That said, I do own Camp Chef and they are great ovens too.

As was previously mentioned, be sure to closely inspect whatever oven you decide to purchase. I've eaten some great meals that were done in Harbor Freight ovens. I sure wouldn't turn one down if someone offered to give me one.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Mike B » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:37 am

Before you buy, check for cracks, thin walls and how the lid fits. If it rocks then it doesn't fit correctly. Try rotating the lid and trying again to see if it fits. If you get only a small bit of rocking, you can actually take that warping out by using valve grinding compound on the lid and the top of the DO.

I would stay away from big store brands. I went through Cabelas' ovens and every single one I looked at had a badly fitted lid. Even the 16" and 20" models.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby pepsifreek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks all, great link Mike! Bottom line up front, I'm sensing that buying cast Iron is a hands-on affair... There's a Dick's (sporting goods) close by that carrys camp chef and Texsport, I'll see what I can find.

More to follow
pepsifreek
Teardrop Inspector

I Vote For Lodge

Postby Franklin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:32 am

I vote for Lodge as it does season the best so for me has been the easiest to clean up. Lodge does have special buys, recipes, etc. on their website: www.lodgemfg.com. I have gotten lazy as I age and if I have to scrub it, well, it becomes a planter in the yard. Also, I got a giant pot on clearance and it was so heavy..... :lol: Cathy
Franklin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby starleen2 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 am

I bought a small set from Tractor supply Company and some from Harbor frieght - they work pretty good - they use a waxy coating that is hard to scrub off for the intial seasoning - I Just heat them to about 200 degrees in the oven and wipe of the residue with an old towel, then season as usual.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:15 am

Ya don't have to fill the 12 qt full ya know ! :lol: :lol:

I have bought a 1/2 dozen new pieces and have about as many old
( ancient ) ones. It seems when I reach for one it's always the old ones. The years of wear only seems to serve to polish them smoother and smoother. They were made thicker and seem to heat much more evenly.
It may be all in my head ( other opinions welcome) but I would hunt antique stores , junk shops , flea markets and farm auctions for the GOOD ones. It's a great way to while away a weekend treasure hunting and you are sure to find other goodies you wern't even looking for.

just my 2 cents worth

Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pepsifreek » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:03 pm

bobhenry wrote:Ya don't have to fill the 12 qt full ya know ! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I know, but I'd end up frying my stew... Mmmm... fried stew... :thinking:

I have bought a 1/2 dozen new pieces and have about as many old
( ancient ) ones. It seems when I reach for one it's always the old ones. The years of wear only seems to serve to polish them smoother and smoother. They were made thicker and seem to heat much more evenly.
It may be all in my head ( other opinions welcome) but I would hunt antique stores , junk shops , flea markets and farm auctions for the GOOD ones. It's a great way to while away a weekend treasure hunting and you are sure to find other goodies you wern't even looking for.

just my 2 cents worth

Bob

I totally agree! There's nothin' like old stuff. (I think that's why my wife keeps me around :D )

I've been to every nearby antique and thrift store and hit up the local sporting goods and kitchen stores and found a total of three DOs. All new Lodges and all bigger than I was looking for :( The search will continue...

I did find these in the local thrift store
now all I need is some tiny groceries and a one ounce bag of charcoal!
pepsifreek
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:56 pm

SHE HAS GOT YOU ON A DIET HUH ????
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pepsifreek » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:41 am

bobhenry wrote:SHE HAS GOT YOU ON A DIET HUH ????

Why, do these pans make me look fat?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
pepsifreek
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cast Iron