Pie Iron questions...

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:19 pm

John....I think that is a Pizelle iron. An Italian wafer type cookie. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:44 pm

That's exactly what it is.

I never heard of that before but the waffer cookies sound good with a little powdered sugar. YUM :thumbsup:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:57 pm

They are awesome....had a girlfriend whose mother made tons of them at Christmas....and yes...you need anise in them for the "official" taste! Hey, Pizzells when camping...why not? Bet it hasn't been done much, and will keep those guys in the MegaRV's shaking their heads. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Loader » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:48 am

Doug,

We use one of the double pie irons for Calzones, works great. Take some practice so you don't burn your dinner. Cooks much fast than one would think (trust me I know). We used the pizza dough/crust in a tube (Pillsbury brand). Fill with your favorite pizza toppings and enjoy. We have also made some Ruben sandwiches in them...good stuff!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Well, I got my pie irons...a single square and a brat cooker...need to season them up and they are ready to go....Just what I need, something to cook up eats that my body doesn't need....Maybe I should have gotten a broccoli steamer! Bass Pro had a better deal on them then Cabelas, at least on the brat cooker. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Seasoned up the pie irons today...also a couple for a customer of mine as well. Since they don't come pre-seasoned and instead are dipped in a wax...you gotta burn that all off. They say you can just scrub it off, but that wasn't working. Got 2 brat irons, waffle iron, and a single pie iron all done up, and only had the alarms go off in the house a couple of times. Most were outside on the BBQ, but that was a drag as we had a snow storm this morning. Made up a pizza type sandwich for lunch.... turned out great! the waffle iron isn't mine, but I'm thinking it is going to be a tough one to get a quality waffle out of. I'm camping with those people on the 4th of July so we'll see how it all works. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dakotamouse » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Hey Doug,

I got a set of 3 pie irons from Sportsmans guide, 3 for 19.99. I haven't gotten to season them yet. I've been watching for recipes and this one sounds interesting for breakfast.

http://www.chuckwagondiner.com/pieiron/grogcakes.html

I like things you can put together a head of time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:25 pm

That sounds like a good one, I'm going to try it...we had good luck using a Krusteaz pumpkin bread mix and poured it in a waffle iron up at Cave Creek last fall. Of course, I had to have a load of whipped cream on mine....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby xrover » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:35 pm

I currently have a square cast iron one, but we grew up with round ones (they make a better seal around the edges I found). My mom used to make full course meal with the sandwich makers (we used to call them Tonka's after the brand name we had). She would make main courses using chili, pb and jam, pepperoni, sauce and cheese, diced hot dogs for a various on the pigs in a blanket or with beans, sliced cheese, pretty much anything that was served with a sauce could be done in one. For desert she would buy canned pie fruit and have cherry, apple, or blueberry pies. I like to consider myself an expert now on these after all the years of being exposed to them. I always make mine:
- bread butter on exterior sides
- lay in one piece butter side down, fill it to about 1/4" of sides, and then put on the other bread.
- I usually use 3-5 minutes a side depending on the hot coal base you have. You sort of have to listen for the butter to stop sizzling as an indicator.
- CAUTION - CONTENTS ARE HOT!

I've had aluminum ones but always had a challenge not burning them. Hence why a recommend cast iron if you can find them.

A perfect companion for any camping.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby iplay10us2 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I just ordered some pie irons from this place:

http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/product/search.cfm?criteria=pie+irons&submit=Go

My family had some when I was a kid growing and we camped, but I have no idea what happened to them. I was just talking to my sister about them the other day, and went online to find some to order. I ordered the double pie iron, the round pie iron, and a single square one. I can't wait to use them when the arrive---after I season them, of course.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:02 pm

I wish I would have gotten the double iron instead of the single square....single is a snack...double would be a meal....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:19 am

Doug,

This thread says "calorie overload" :lol: Ya got me looking for classic pie irons at garage sales, the flea market, and on line. I gotta have a round one that squishes the crust off the bread and makes those little flying saucers...
:thinking: Nothing like a PBJ with real butter on white bread, toasted to perfection and an ice cold glass of whole milk.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:20 am

I have a double cast iron one that I bought for $9.99 from this place called Southern Hospitality. I couldn't believe it was so cheap. They didn't have round ones. That's the next one on my wish list.

Now I'm hungry. :(
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby BobR » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:38 am

It must be something in the air. Just happened to purchase a round pie iron at Outdoor World on Saturday. I have yet to season it up and give it a whirl. Now I hope that I don't start collecting these as well as the vintage Coleman stuff (a sportster stove and 228 lantern found their way into my eBay account).
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby wannabefree » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm

Dang it! Now I've gotta have one. Just got through buying 2 8 inch dutch ovens for the tear (now at 8 ovens and counting), too.

My wife has some Cornish in her (southern England) and they make a meat pie called a pasty. Put cubed meat, potato, onion, and rutabaga in a pie crust, fold it over, bake, and it's a pasty. The tin miners used to eat them for lunch down in the mines. Called them "letters from home." Anyway, a pie iron sounds like it was made for pasty making. Oh well, back to the store I go. Oh yeah, put a pat of butter in, too, or it will be pretty dry.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cast Iron