Calling all waffle iron experts

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Calling all waffle iron experts

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:05 pm

This forum first got me hooked on TD's and now, dog gone it, I guess cast iron is next. Started looking at waffle irons and finally was able to win an Ebay auction at a reasonable price.

But, now for my question. Does anyone have any advice on how to season an iron with wood handles without actually removing them? I was thinking there might be some way to do it outside using a big two burner Camp Chef stove I have. Would it work to rig up some kind of a "stove top oven" and keep the handles outside and away from the flame? The wood handles are held in place by a pin that goes all the way through and has a "head" on one side and is "set" on the opposite side in such a way that I'd really like to leave it alone since the handles are solid and in good condition. Is there some other way? Maybe waffle irons don't have to be seasoned in an oven anyway for all I know!

Thanks for any advice.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Lucky489 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:52 pm

When I did mine. I used my grill. It has a hole where the rotiserie went. I rigged up a holder, but a stove would work just has well it doesn't have to be in an oven.
Lucky489
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Micro469 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Another question on topic..... When you season them, do you season the outside as well? Or just the cooking surface?

:roll: :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:56 pm

I season the whole thing base too, keeps down any rust and makes for an easier clean up. Once you get a little seasoning on them...start cooking with them. If you use Pam every time before a pour, it'll get them nice and black really fast, especially if you cook for like 20 people at a gathering. I also heat it till the pam just starts to smoke...good pouring temp. In my opinion, you could also season them up by setting them on the stove in the base heating them up and turning often. You would need to keep the heat pretty even. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:40 am

Yup... Season the entire iron except the wood handles.
They do come off... Most are screwed on, some are held on with a pin.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:16 am

My Waffle iron was an E-bay find also. It arrived in about the same condition as yours is pictured. I washed it in warm water and dried it thoroughly on the burner of our gas stove. I let it heat dry for about 3 minutes and sprayed it with pam. Every square inch of cast was covered. I returned it to the fire and when it started to smoke removed it and sprayed a second time. Returning it once again to the fire , after the 3rd spray we started cooking. The waffles stuck in just a couple places. I made several , spraying the cooking area between each waffle. I washed up the iron and dried it again as before and sprayed it completely again and put it away. The next use , a couple weeks later I rinsed it and dried it on the burner and sprayed it before cooking. No sticking everything came out perfect. There is no black magic to cast iron as I once thought it just loves to be used.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:14 am

OK! Thanks for the tip on seasoning the whole iron as well as the base. I'll do it outside today on the big Camp Chef stove. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Thanks,
Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:19 am

Stand by for the Sunday morning "Waffle report "

You better let us know how it turned out ! :lol:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 pm

OK, Bob! Here it comes: The Sunday Morning Waffle Report (and iron seasoning results). I used the big camp stove and put it inside a stove top "Bar B Que Box" with the handles sticking out. Coated the whole thing with the canned white Crisco stuff. Kept the temp at 400 - 425 for a couple hours turning the iron over frequently. Let it cool, wiped it down, and repeated the process. Here's what it looks like now:

This morning I stirred up a batch of batter using sourdough starter, a recipe I've had for many years. Its pure sourdough starter with only eggs, sugar, and oil added (plus used a little vanilla and cinnamon in a few). Sprayed the iron with a "canola cooking spray". Results were perfect from the very first one. Even the spill over was an easy no stick cleanup. Boy, I'm sold on this cast iron deal. Along with a little sausage, this will be easiest camp breakfast ever! I guess a DO has to be next.:applause:

Thanks for all the advice,

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Cast Iron just wants to be loved

Glad it worked out so well!

If ya want to impress the guest , puree in some apple pie filling in the waffle mix just cut back the water about 1/2.

OH SO GOOD

Bob
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron