seasoning question

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby doug hodder » Tue May 05, 2009 9:31 pm

Glad that took care of it. I've got 1 that I picked up in Redding while at the Dam that I need to do. They sure look like new when you do that to them don't they? I'll mask off 1 side of the next item I do and show a before and after on the same piece. The results are outstanding. Makes old iron like new. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby dobyman » Tue May 05, 2009 9:38 pm

that's a good idea. unless you've seen one beadblasted, you have no idea how nice they look! its like magic for an old piece! really brings them back to life!
thanks again Doug!
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby planovet » Tue May 05, 2009 9:47 pm

OK, I have to ask. Do you take it somewhere or do you bead blast it yourself? Is the equipment expensive?
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby dobyman » Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 pm

Luckily, I have a good friend that owns an auto repair shop, so he lets me use his blaster anytime I need it. If I didnt have this connection, I would surely be looking into a small one for my garage. They are good for cast iron, stoves, lanterns and anything that needs a new life. I know for lantern frames, it is fantastic! Even at a blasting business, I dont think it would be too expensive to do a small piece. Would be worth checking into in order to save a nice piece of cast iron from the scrap heap. :thumbsup:
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm

Mark...while I have a small blaster, I have no cabinet for media recovery and with the beads, you want to recover them as a bag of them isn't really inexpensive, use glass beads...not sand! I really need to build a cabinet. Fortunately, Mike A has come to my rescue and generously offered use of his cabinet. It takes a fairly large compressor as any blasting equipment is a real air hog. Short of someone with one, you might want to let your fingers do the walking and see what is available locally for blasting services, and whether or not they will do small pieces. A call to a hot rod/ custom motorcycle shop or metal plater might also provide some sources. I have no idea on what someone would charge for a blast on a skillet or small pieces.

PS....it's a really cool tool! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Nitetimes » Tue May 05, 2009 11:26 pm

doug hodder wrote:Mark...while I have a small blaster, I have no cabinet for media recovery and with the beads, you want to recover them as a bag of them isn't really inexpensive, use glass beads...not sand! I really need to build a cabinet. Fortunately, Mike A has come to my rescue and generously offered use of his cabinet. It takes a fairly large compressor as any blasting equipment is a real air hog. Short of someone with one, you might want to let your fingers do the walking and see what is available locally for blasting services, and whether or not they will do small pieces. A call to a hot rod/ custom motorcycle shop or metal plater might also provide some sources. I have no idea on what someone would charge for a blast on a skillet or small pieces.

PS....it's a really cool tool! Doug

There's something else I have right down the road. Not sure if they do media tho. The can blast rail cars so I'm not sure if they've got any smaller equipment. :thinking: :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Rock » Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 am

I have a good size floor standing blast cabinet from Harbor Freight. Works well for what it is and one of those things that when you need it you need it.

I can justify it simply based on what my time is worth - in other words finding someone to blast for me, driving back and forth, etc.

But - like someone mentioned above - they are absolute air hogs. I have a high quality 60 gallon 5 HP compressor and I have to let it rest when bead blasting. And ususally my jobs are pretty small.

P.S. I was reading the manual that came with my new electro-plating setup and they recommend degreasing before you bead blast to avoid driving grease into something porous like cast iron. Might not be an issue for cleaning up cookware, but something to think about in a situation like the one above.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cast Iron