First Dutch Oven (Just got mine/Whats your story)?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

First Dutch Oven (Just got mine/Whats your story)?

Postby Alfred » Wed May 20, 2009 8:11 pm

Hey Gang,

Just back from the Southeast Spring Fling at the Holler gathering, in which dutch ovens were well represented at the pot luck dinner.

My sweet Wife went out to the local Walmart the day after we got back, and surprised me with a new Lodge Logic 12" 6-quart dutch oven!

I've never used one, actually never heard of one until I joined this teardrop clan online. Now, I'm very excited about trying to learn how to use one. It came with a little cook book, guide book. I seem to remember there are some good websites, too! I'm thinking I'm going to need to do a couple of test runs in the back yard!

Just wanted to share the good news!

Al in Asheville :thumbsup:
Last edited by Alfred on Wed May 20, 2009 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby hunter535 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:31 pm

I used mine for the first time while camping at Buck Pond in the Adirondacks in 2007. I made a plum cobbler. (Used plums because they didn't have any peaches) It turned out really good. It took about 20 minutes to cook. I used matchlight charcoal for a heat source. Then after threw a few pieces of firewood on the charcoal and "WALLA instant campfire".
[img][img][img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=49503[/img]
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Wed May 20, 2009 10:29 pm

http://camp-cook.com/forum/index.php
After you look really good at our Iron site there is a link in the menu here for Camp Cook. You won't go wrong joining. They have wonderful stuff to try.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby wannabefree » Fri May 22, 2009 12:04 am

DO cooking is not as hard as people want to think. I have been doing it since I was 11 and have had very few failures. ANYTHING you can cook in a home oven can be cooked in a DO. Patience and a desire to experiment are the only requirements. The little book is all you need to get started. There is a large DO lunatic fringe that has lots of advice. Don't worry too much about them; just smile and nod, do what makes sense and ignore the rest.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Thanks

Postby Alfred » Fri May 22, 2009 8:14 am

wannabefree wrote:DO cooking is not as hard as people want to think. I have been doing it since I was 11 and have had very few failures. ANYTHING you can cook in a home oven can be cooked in a DO. Patience and a desire to experiment are the only requirements. The little book is all you need to get started. There is a large DO lunatic fringe that has lots of advice. Don't worry too much about them; just smile and nod, do what makes sense and ignore the rest.

Thanks! Sounds like good advices! AL.
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 22, 2009 8:26 am

Cooking is a matter of time and temperature.

More time lower temperature
more temperature less time

The hardest lesson I had to learn in D.O. cooking was patients. I tried to use far more coals than were needed and placed them incorrectly. In the past I have had a little trimming to do on my specialty "black bottom bread :lol: " Have made so real good meals since and continue to learn.

Here is my very 1st D.O. meal

6 of us inhaled it along with a loaf of bread and butter. The last 2 were mopping the pan with their bread at the end.

If ya need a lifter P.M. me

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby High Desert » Fri May 22, 2009 9:01 am

bobhenry wrote:Cooking is a matter of time and temperature.

More time lower temperature
more temperature less time

The hardest lesson I had to learn in D.O. cooking was patients. I tried to use far more coals than were needed and placed them incorrectly. In the past I have had a little trimming to do on my specialty "black bottom bread :lol: " Have made so real good meals since and continue to learn.

Here is my very 1st D.O. meal

6 of us inhaled it along with a loaf of bread and butter. The last 2 were mopping the pan with their bread at the end.

If ya need a lifter P.M. me

those lifters do work nice, I got one a couple of years ago. Makes handling a hot lid much less hazardous. (endorsment 100% unsolicited) :D
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat May 23, 2009 3:54 pm

I dabbled in DO from the mid 1980s. Once a younger sister and I entered a pretty good sized contest At Boise ID and we would have won if one of the judges hadn't thought we had cheated. He realized to late he made a mistake and apologized but it was to late then.

Sis was the cook. I was the coal shoveler/fire tender, chicken shreader. I haven't done much the past 10 years or so but i am thinking about doing a dish I kind of made up in Death valley about 20 years ago.

Oh, I can make a mean meat loaf in one. One guy who does not like meat loaf asked for my recipe once. Form the loaf in the DO leaving space between it and the walls. yum yum
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby campinwi » Sat May 23, 2009 8:55 pm

About 12 years ago I bought my first DO. Didn't like it much, seemed to burn almost everything I cooked in it. Somehow over the years I have changed my way of cooking, and now use my cast iron pans all the time. The trick for me, was making sure they stay seasoned. that way, they virtually become non stick. One of the most fun things to make are the baked goods.
campinwi
Teardrop Advisor

Castiron

Postby doitright » Sun May 24, 2009 5:52 am

You are a lucky man a wife that went out and got you your first Iron. Post a phot in two years and your colection may be larger than this. I was just as lucky my wife got me my first black pot and now she hates to see me looking at pots. I still have some hidden. The good thing is she loves for me to cook in them. Three years after my first DO she got me they found friends.

I hope the photo works I have not done it latley
Keivn

[/img]
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun May 24, 2009 6:11 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Oh, I can make a mean meat loaf in one. One guy who does not like meat loaf asked for my recipe once. Form the loaf in the DO leaving space between it and the walls. yum yum

UMMMM ! MEATLOAFImage
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun May 24, 2009 9:48 am

Is this the pic you wanted Kevin? Hey Randy...how about that meat loaf recipe or do you just wing it? Does look good! Doug

doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

They reproduce

Postby Alfred » Sun May 24, 2009 1:32 pm

My goodness! They reproduce!

Actually I bought a big Lodge cast iron frying pan a few years ago, to use when camping, but now we do all of frying in it at home, too. Plus I went out and bought another medium and a small frying pan. I got a griddle for Christmas. I bought a reproduction waffle iron from Ebay, but haven't had much luck with it.

My sweet Wife just bought me my first Dutch Oven. And, I agree, it was a really cool thing for my sweet Wife to go out and buy me! We've been married 13 years, very happy. She's a keeper!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:

ImageImageImage
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

50/50

Postby ssrjim » Sun May 24, 2009 5:13 pm

First try I had a nice roast and veggies:

Opp's

I didn't give up, scrapped it all out and cooked some chili and cornbread:

Yumm
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun May 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Jim...you been taking lessons from my ex-wife? Sorry it was just there someone had to make the joke. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Cast Iron