Multi use DO table?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Multi use DO table?

Postby Rvankeur » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:23 am

We're looking to get into Teardropping in the near future - paring down from our huge pop-up trailer, and trying to figure out what we truly NEED for camping vs WANT.

Obviously, the DO would be a NEED (even though we're still rank novices). So, now, do we NEED the portable propane grill? Or can we buy or make some sort of combo DO table/charcoal grill setup?

We live close enough to a Cabela's to take a road trip so we can get the Camp Chef table, but is there some way to use that as a grill as well?

Ed is wondering if the fire pan from NRS would be a better idea. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2725

Thanks,
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:25 am

We have now been active for about 2 1/2 years with gatherings and camping on our own. I have found that for us a smokey joe junior grill and a small propane cook top have allowed us almost every cooking option.

We did use our dutch oven table the last gathering because I had 3 dutch ovens going 2 with giant loves of bread and the 3rd with a monster meat loaf however this is not normal cooking.

With the little grill and the cook top and a 12" dutch oven we can grill , fry , deep fry, roast , and bake. I ofter use the small grill as a wind screen for the dutch oven it seem to help concentrate the heat and cooks more evenly. The new camp chef d.o. table is nice but a bit of a pain to transport and you almost have to wash it clean to avoid messing the other camping gear.

here is a few other treats that can be made with this combo !

To transport the grill I simply empty it completely and place it in a doubled up tall kitchen garbage bag after it is cool. No muss no fuss.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pgwilli » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:38 pm

We have a Lodge DO table that I use as a grill by propping a cooking grid on rocks over charcoal.
This works well and the cooking grid fits in the case with the table, I just wish the Lodge table didn't weigh 40# :thinking:

I've seen a nice (lighter) table made out out of aluminum - wonder how that's holding up....Jim?
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Portable Do Table / Stand

Postby ELCHILEON » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 am

Hey Rvankeur,

I'm also a " Novice " , but here's a very nice " Portable DO Table/ Stand " .. !

Dutch Oven Stand with Tongs (left) & lid lifter (Right)
http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2029

I'm going to pick up a " Weber Smokey Joe Grill " to use for camping, along with the " Foldable Table " and my " Raindrop ".
Lots of things you can do with the " Weber Grill " set-up, as shown by " Bobhenry "

L.M.
Last edited by ELCHILEON on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FireLion » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:46 am

I agree! I use a Weber grill (Smokey Joe) with my DO, with good results. I sometimes line the Weber with foil (shiny side up) to reflect the heat upwards. I also grill using either charcoal or smaller chunks of wood. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The grill and DO combo travels in my car trunk, inside of a canvas bag.
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:07 pm

The Dandi Stand sold by Chuck Wagon Supply.
The legs unscrew and it fits into a nice pocket bag and stows flat.
I have cooked on it but now use it to hold the next DO waiting for the big table. It could use a wind screen but it is so small it fits on tables and behind almost anything. That is also where I can keep my charcoal starter firing up the next batch of charcoal.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Rvankeur » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks for all of the great ideas, and the links to go with them.

I'll take one of each, thank you. 8)
Rose and Ed
Rvankeur
Teardrop Master

Return to Cast Iron