Cabella's

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Cabella's

Postby ATXKJ » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:27 pm

FYI - Cabella's has a sale on the 5 piece starter set (actually I think there's more on sale but this was what I was looking at)
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=Y2L1XRPQDS1CNLAQBBICCOFMCAEFCIWE?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_516268&id=0030736516771a&_requestid=79952
David
ATXKJ
Teardrop Advisor

Seems like a good deal!

Postby Alfred » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Wow, that does seem like a good deal for $79.00.

Ad copy reads:

A quick, affordable way to get started in cast-iron cooking. The five pieces included with this kit will enable you to prepare a wide range of dishes - at home and in the field. And they're all pre-seasoned, so they're ready to use right out of the box. The kit includes a 10" skillet, 5-qt. camp oven with a lid that fits the 10" skillet as well, 12" deep skillet with a lid that reverses to a round griddle; Dutch oven lifting tool and heavy-duty leather cooking gloves.
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:31 pm

:o You all be careful buying iron that is too good a deal. You need to check the lids to be sure they are a close fit. You need to check to see if the legs are high enough.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby NutmegJoe » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:56 pm

I think the Cabella's brand is made by Camp Chef...good stuff.
Shelly
--------------
"Do what you like,
Like what you do"

NutmegJoe
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Check it out....no briquette ring on the lid. May not be what you want if you want to do a lot of the typical DO recipes. My 12" Cabelas DO is really nice, great finish and smooth interior. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby chorizon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Dude...I went to Cabela's for the first time last month even though its been here a few years. I wasn't prepared for what I saw. I vaguely remember good deals on the cast iron for sure. Then there was a dehydrator the size of a washing machine, too...

I contemplated selling the house and moving into the camping section, thinking nobody would notice...

After wandering around with sensory overload for about 6 hours or so I left, having purchased only a box of 30-06 shells.

If anyone local knows someone who could use the 30-06 shells let me know...I don't even own a 30-06.... :thinking:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby hunter535 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 am

chorizon wrote:Dude...I went to Cabela's for the first time last month even though its been here a few years. I wasn't prepared for what I saw. I vaguely remember good deals on the cast iron for sure. Then there was a dehydrator the size of a washing machine, too...

I contemplated selling the house and moving into the camping section, thinking nobody would notice...

After wandering around with sensory overload for about 6 hours or so I left, having purchased only a box of 30-06 shells.

If anyone local knows someone who could use the 30-06 shells let me know...I don't even own a 30-06.... :thinking:

Felt compelled to buy something after the 6 hour visit! :lol:

I've been there before. I can't go into a store like that and leave with nothing in hand. :)
hunter535
Teardrop Master

Postby dakotamouse » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:18 am

I'll always remember our first visit to Cabellas. There was another couple ahead of us. As they walked in the husband stopped ..............his jaw dropped and he stood in amazment.

The wife said to him..."are the angels singing?!" :lol:

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Mightydog » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:29 pm

We went to the Cabelas just south of Seattle a couple of weekends ago. And, yes, there were angels singing the whole time we were there.

The upside is that we were able to get out without buying anything! That starter set was on sale. There wasn't a lip around the top of the D.O. to hold briquets. Also, though I've read that they are made by Camp Chef, the cast iron seemed to be lighter than I expected it to be. It just didn't seem to be as beefy as I was thinking it should be.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:13 pm

"BEEFY" ??? Coming from you that could mean lots of things

john
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron