Yard sale find

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Yard sale find

Postby TerryLawson » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:20 pm

While leaving work today there was a sign at the end of the road we are on. It said "Man Sale" so I had to go look. They had bought a whole house hold of stuff mostly tool and things like that. I picked up another cordless drill, a pipe clamp, and a few other things. I was about to leave when I found a cast iron skillet, its a no name with "Made in the USA" #8 10 1/2. The bottom is flat and the inside bottom is almost as smooth as I have seen on some gris or wags.
I wasn't thinking and already had it cleaned up and ready for the grill when I thought about pics. You should have seen this thing!!! There was mudd dobber nest in it and just a touch of rust. I will post pics as soon as I get a chance.
Oh I almost forgot the best part! It was all of $0.50 At that I thought you can't go wrong!!!!!!!

Terry
“The hard stuff we do right away, the impossible stuff takes a little longer!”
TerryLawson
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:20 pm

That much huh? How long did you think about it? I started buying cast iron a few years ago. Adding to a few pieces from my Mom and Mother in law gave me. Most people would ask why would you want that old stuff when they make non stick pans now. But lots of the new cooking shows are using cast iron now so more people are looking for it. Don't expect those cheap prices all the time.

Good Job!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TerryLawson » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:20 pm

Sorry, no picture! I haven't had the time to think about it! :x
But I can tell you that it is a great pan. I have used it half a dozen times with great results on eggs. sausage, hashbrows, and lots of other things. I think it does as good if not better than our nonstick pans. And for $.50 for it and over $100 for the new Paula Dean nonstick, I think it was a great deal!!! :applause:

Terry
TerryLawson
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:40 am

And Just think: I don't have to even polish it! :D
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby TerryLawson » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:32 pm

You this has me thinking! :thinking: I have found a few of these and not even looking for them. What about picking these up for cheap and cleaning and seasoning them and giving them as Christmas gifts!!! Not that Im a cheapskate, :twisted: but how better to give love than with Iron!!!!! :thumbsup:
Terry
TerryLawson
Teardrop Master

Raffle Prizes

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:39 am

8) Terry, Giving them as gifts would be good...how about taking them to a Teardrop Gathering to spread the wealth as Raffle Prizes or a CI Exchange?

When I cleaned out the Grandparents home, folks cupboard, and my old house, I brought a lot of the cast iron "stuff"/pieces not being used to the IRG 2.0 and put it out, AS IS, for raffle prizes. It all went. Sometimes I forget that not everyone has SO much cast iron, or any at all, and that many people were never raised on CI, but on that newfangled stuff, "Teflon".
Keep an eye out, cuz just this last weekend when my Mom and I had OUR garage sale, I pulled out a couple of her CI skillets that she was going to part with and put them away for Dean to use, or to give as raffle prizes at IRG 3.0.

Joanie :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Return to Cast Iron