round griddle?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

round griddle?

Postby hotrod » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:58 pm

how common are round griddles?
i was out "junkin" last weekend and came across a stash of cast iron, few dutch ovens with no lids, several skillets, waffle irons and krumkake irons. This round griddle caught me eye. I dont remember ever seeing one of these things, looked to be 12/14 inches across and just a short lip (less than 1/4 inch) around the edge. It was sitting under a pile of skillets that I didnt dare move for fear the wall caving down on top of me..
Worth going back for? sure its still there...
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby tk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm guessing they're fairly common: Lodge still makes them. WonderWoman bought me a brand new one for Christmas a couple years ago. I wouldn't know about old ones.

Best,
Tom
Escape to Missouri
tk
Teardrop Master

Postby duke » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:12 pm

Fairly common... I have a #9 Griswold (11" dia) and a #8 (9.75" dia) marked Sydney (Wagner?) The square and oval griddles are much rarer.
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life that he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure. - Mark Twain
Image.Image
duke
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve Stephens » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Pretty common but, in relation to skillets, on the rare side. There are the round "handle griddles" which are the most common, then the "skillet griddles" which aren't that easy to find and the "shallow skillets" which are sort of a combination between a griddle and skillet. Hard to find them. Griswold and Wagner and some other companies made all three I think. Most other cookware companies made some sort of round handled griddle and, when the size reached a No.10, they made both with larger ones coming only (usually) as bail handled round griddles. All these pieces can be very useful. Griswold skillet griddles are neat pieces.

Everyone should have a copy of The Book of Griswold and Wagner by Smith & Wafford (Schiffer). It's the "blue book" and easily the best book on iron cookware. The companion "red book" covers other pieces not in the blue book. Don't plan on getting excited about collecting iron cookware and expect to take a good portion with you on teardrop camping trips unless you're teardrop is a dual wheels on both sides or tandem axles.
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Postby hotrod » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:39 pm

It would be neat to have but like ya said plan on an extra axle on the teardrop. There is already a nice griddle in its own little spot in the teardrop..I guess I might pass on this one..
Paul
Some people are like slinkys.. not much good for anything but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs....
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby ironhead » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:02 am

Steve I agree 100% on both of these books. anyone who uses or collects cast iron for cooking should really invest in these two books as they have a wealth of information. It would also help keep people away from the made in China garbage that most people seem to jump on in a heartbeat not knowing It's inferior to the made in the USA cast iron. stupid is what stupid does... :DOH2:
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Stephens » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:34 am

I think so many people see a piece of iron cookware and think it's all pretty much the same. Well, it's not and, until you've enjoyed using the old american made iron from before 1960 and one that doesn't say "Made in USA" on it which was added about that time, they don't know what they are missing.

The other day I looked through the cookware section of Macys and hefted a new porcelain coated Martha Stewart dutch oven. How could SHE cook in one of those boat anchors when I could hardly lift it? I was astounded by the weight of the thing. Most of the old iron is relatively light weight and you'll even find some early pieces that you'd swear were made of stamped steel they are so light.

Larger pouring lips, smoothly ground on the inside, nice design; all make up the wonders of OLD american iron cookware. I can understand the purchase of some new camp ovens however as the old ones are very scarce and, usually, quite pricy. There may even be some design changes from the old ones that make for better cooking for today's way of cooking.

Forget that new stuff (other than camp ovens) and find youself a nice Griswold, Wagner, Favorite, early Lodge, Martin Stove & Range, Vollrath or one of many other makes both marked and unmarked.
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Postby hotrod » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:48 am

Growing up my folks had a nice 2 burner rectangular griswold cast iron griddle.. Dad took it elk hunting one year up to someplace in the bitterroot mountains in montana and accidentally forgot it sitting in the crook of a tree. we went back the following year and of course it was gone. If I cpme across one like it i will buy that one.
Paul
hotrod
TILT
TILT

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Two days and no :pictures: :dead:
Some of us have not imagination. :?
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260