not cast iron but......

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

not cast iron but......

Postby Eunice » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:28 pm

went to the local thrift store and got an aluminum dutch oven for $20.
I am excited. My brother prefers aluminum over cast iron. lighter so he can put it on his pack horse. can leave food in it longer.
Aluminum was my first pots and pans back in the 70's. Anxious to see how it cleans up (no pitting) and then will cook in it. the lid is a perfect fit. pics to follow
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby alffink » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:46 am

Eunice

Aluminum, so he can keep food in it longer??????

Now things may have changed, but back in the EARLY 60's, my dad and I came down with sevear cases of food poisoning from a marinara sauce that was allowed to simmer most of the day in an alluminum stock pot. Supposedly this was from a reaction in the alum and the tomatoes, the cooking was supposedly alright but the low temp simmer was supposed to be the problem.....now modern pots may not have this problem, but I take the doctor at his word, now many years later, the only alumminum pot I have in the house is for steaming Tamales, not for any sort of cooking.

Just my opinion, but only one time with real food poisoning was one too many times.
alffink
Donating Member

Postby Eunice » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 pm

I dont think you are ever suppose to put tomatoes in aluminum. If you research you will find both view points. I switched from a plastic water bottle in the car to aluminum because I heard that the heat released toxins in the plastic and was bad for cancer. It stays in the car and I have no problems. You can probably find research to say whatever you want it to say. I dont know..... :thinking: sorry you had such a bad experience! That would change my mind for sure

Most people I know cook in cast iron and remove the food right away so it doesnt absorb too much iron. If it is in aluminum he will leave the food in it and put it in the fridge over night. I have my 1970's aluminum pot in the house and for years have left homemade veggie soup in the pot and put it in the fridge over night and it was fine. I hope I havent poisoned anyone :shock:
Last edited by Eunice on Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby godskid » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:45 pm

I bought a cast iron Dutch oven on ebay -- just a few months ago. No, I don't leave food in it -- but Yes, it cooks a *great* pot roast! A chunk of beef, a few potatoes, package of dried onion soup, and a cup of water. 4 hrs at 350 or 5 hrs at 300 ... while I go away for the afternoon. Really Yummy results!
godskid
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron