14" Blueberry Vanilla Cream Cheese Almond Glazed Danish

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby Gary and Cheri » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:22 pm

If Ageless has one side of Dean, I claim the other.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:05 pm

:( Do we have a recipe yet? Think this would be grand for Thanksgiving for sure! Even got the berries in the freezer. :worship:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Prem » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:44 pm

In the wait, better load up on butter in the fridge Auntie M! When he said it was a lot, I figured he meant it. :shock:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:37 pm

Auntie M,
I haven't had a chance to play with this one again yet, but I can give you the recipe I used to make the dough... Just a tad too much for what I used. (That's why I want to adjust the ingediants down so nothing gets wasted)

INGREDIENTS
• 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 1/2 cups milk
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 8 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon lemon extract
• 1 teaspoon almond extract

DIRECTIONS
1. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 2/3 cup of flour. Divide into 2 equal parts, and roll each half between 2 pieces of waxed paper into a 6 x12 inch sheet. Refrigerate.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry yeast and 3 cups of the remaining flour. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, sugar and salt. Heat to 115 degrees F (43 degrees C), or just warm, but not hot to the touch. Mix the warm milk mixture into the flour and yeast along with the eggs, and lemon and almond extracts. Stir for 3 minutes. Knead in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough is firm and pliable. Set aside to rest until double in size.
3. Cut the dough in half, and roll each half out to a 14 inch square. Place one sheet of the cold butter onto each piece of dough, and fold the dough over it like the cover of a book. Seal edges by pressing with fingers. Roll each piece out to a 20x 12 inch rectangle, then fold into thirds by folding the long sides in over the center. Repeat rolling into a large rectangle, and folding into thirds. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the refrigerator one at a time, and roll and fold each piece two more times. Return to the refrigerator to chill again before shaping. If the butter gets too warm, the dough will become difficult to manage.
5. To make danishes, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. The dough can be cut into squares, with a filling placed in the center. Fold 2 of the corners over the center to form a filled diamond shape. Or, fold the piece in half, cut into 1 inch strips, stretch, twist and roll into a spiral. Place a dollop of preserves or other filling in the center. Place danishes on an ungreased baking sheet, and let rise until doubled. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Danishes can be brushed with egg white for a shiny finish.
6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the bottoms are golden brown.

I didn't like all the in and out of the fridge and cutting the dough in half stuff... Thinking ahead of how I'd be doing this from an ice chest while camping. :thinking:
If you watch that video I posted on Joanne's board, you'll notice the dude used cold butter and beat it flat with a rolling pin to get his initial layer of butter between the dough. He then worked quickly and got all 81 layers of butter laminated into the dough and rolled out.
That's how I attempted it on my first try. I got my 81 layers, but wasn't able to roll out the dough after I got that final "thirds" fold... It was just too springy and didn't want to roll out, so I had to stick it in the fridge for about a half hour and let the dough relax before I was able to roll it out that final time. I wasn't using a machine like he was, just my big wooden rolling pin. I'm sure I'll be faster next time because I wasted quite a bit of time getting those first few folds to where they were propper thirds.
Also... Don't get in a hurry when lacing the Danish together like I did.
A few more minutes spent here will give you much better eye appeal when all is said and done.

Going off of memory, I used 8 oz. of cream cheese, two cups of powdered sugar and 1 tbsp of vanilla for the cheese filling and I added almond extract into my simple icing glaze as well.

Good Luck and Remember... :pictures:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Prem » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:23 am

Whoa! Truly a labor of love Dean! And the presentation / visual is spectacular.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Miriam C. wrote::( Do we have a recipe yet? Think this would be grand for Thanksgiving for sure! Even got the berries in the freezer. :worship:

Four days before Thanksgiving Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
INGREDIENTS
• 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
• 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 1/2 cups milk
• 1/2 cup white sugar
• 2 teaspoons salt
• 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 8 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon lemon extract
• 1 teaspoon almond extract

DIRECTIONS
1. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and 2/3 cup of flour. Divide into 2 equal parts, and roll each half between 2 pieces of waxed paper into a 6 x12 inch sheet. Refrigerate.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the dry yeast and 3 cups of the remaining flour. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, sugar and salt. Heat to 115 degrees F (43 degrees C), or just warm, but not hot to the touch. Mix the warm milk mixture into the flour and yeast along with the eggs, and lemon and almond extracts. Stir for 3 minutes. Knead in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough is firm and pliable. Set aside to rest until double in size.
3. Cut the dough in half, and roll each half out to a 14 inch square. Place one sheet of the cold butter onto each piece of dough, and fold the dough over it like the cover of a book. Seal edges by pressing with fingers. Roll each piece out to a 20x 12 inch rectangle, then fold into thirds by folding the long sides in over the center. Repeat rolling into a large rectangle, and folding into thirds. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the refrigerator one at a time, and roll and fold each piece two more times. Return to the refrigerator to chill again before shaping. If the butter gets too warm, the dough will become difficult to manage.
5. To make danishes, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. The dough can be cut into squares, with a filling placed in the center. Fold 2 of the corners over the center to form a filled diamond shape. Or, fold the piece in half, cut into 1 inch strips, stretch, twist and roll into a spiral. Place a dollop of preserves or other filling in the center. Place danishes on an ungreased baking sheet, and let rise until doubled. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Danishes can be brushed with egg white for a shiny finish.
6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the bottoms are golden brown.

Good Luck and Remember... :pictures:

:whistle:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm

Postby Laredo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:35 am

Dean,

FWIW steps 1-5 are the same as an Aussie cookbook I have calls for when making croissants.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cast Iron