Wagner Skillet

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Wagner Skillet

Postby Toytaco2 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:30 pm

Hi All,

I'm just starting to get into cast iron and have gotten a few items together. Here's a couple of pics of a skillet I got out of our lake cabin when we sold it a few months ago. As you can see, it says its a Wagner Sidney 0 with a number 10. It seems all the Wagner CI I've seen says "Wagner Ware" on it, a little different from this one. Also it seems to have something I'll call a "heat ring" around the edge which makes it sit perfectly flat. Don't know if its anything special, but, pretty neat for something that's been laying around unused for a long time. I'll be putting it to use with the early 60's Coleman 413F I'm restoring.

Mike

Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Mightydog » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:32 pm

My wife bought one exactly like it in the 70's when she moved out on her own. It was the only kind of pan the hardware store sold at the time. We use it every morning for breakfast. Like you, I don't know if it's worth anything more than what the junk man would pay to haul it away. It is loved and used every day.

The first time we took our TD out, we forgot to pack the frying pan and had to buy a new Lodge pan. It's a lot heavier. Because of that, we don't use it in the house as much as we use the Wagner ware pan. When we camp, we usually take the Lodge pan. If it gets stolen, it would be a loss but not as much as the Wagner ware pan.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Well, this Wagner is way heavy. If the Lodge you bought is heavier, it might as well be a DO. We have one of those smooth glass cook tops in the kitchen, so, it doesn't see much CI use. One of these days I'd like to convert to natural gas in the house and use nothing but CI. But, till then, it will be used on the Coleman stove or the campfire.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Re: Wagner Skillet

Postby ironhead » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:Hi All,

I'm just starting to get into cast iron and have gotten a few items together. Here's a couple of pics of a skillet I got out of our lake cabin when we sold it a few months ago. As you can see, it says its a Wagner Sidney 0 with a number 10. It seems all the Wagner CI I've seen says "Wagner Ware" on it, a little different from this one. Also it seems to have something I'll call a "heat ring" around the edge which makes it sit perfectly flat. Don't know if its anything special, but, pretty neat for something that's been laying around unused for a long time. I'll be putting it to use with the early 60's Coleman 413F I'm restoring.

Mike

Very nice piece of CI ya got there. You do have a special piece. That pan was produced between 1915-1920 and worth about $60 according the the Blue Book. Imagine all the meals that have been cooked in that 90 year old pan
:thumbsup:
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cast Iron