Free griddle!

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Free griddle!

Postby Festus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:16 pm

I have a 79 year old friend whom I've known for the last 20 years. I saw him last Saturday at the grocery store where my son & I had stopped to pick up some grub for our camping trip.

He pulled in as we were walking to the door. I showed him the teardrop and he was impressed. ( This guy is a great craftsman and luthier and is still building stuff today.)

My wife calls me in from my shop tonight for a phone call and my friend wants me to come to his house saying he has something for me.

I get to his house and he gives me a huge cast iron griddle. All it says on the back is "10". No name or anything, but the cooking surface measures 12 x 23", and it is HEAVY.

It's got some surface rust, but will clean up nicely. He told me that he had went to an auction a long time ago at an Amish household and had bought three griddles for the sum of fifty cents....total, not each. He had given the other two away and wanted my son and I to have the last one.

Score! :thumbsup: Is that cool or what!

It sure made my day!
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kevin A » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:26 pm

Does it look like this one?
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby starleen2 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:52 am

You have now effectively doubled the weight of your teardrop :lol: - good score
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Festus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Kevin, it looks very much like the one in your photo. The top and handles are pretty much identical, but the bottom has a raised outline rectangle in the center, instead of being flat like the one in your photo.
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Free griddle!

Postby doug hodder » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 pm

Festus wrote:My wife calls me in from my shop tonight for a phone call and my friend wants me to come to his house saying he has something for me.
He had given the other two away and wanted my son and I to have the last one.
Is that cool or what!

Yup! It's cool that he knew that you would appreciate it and use it. He obviously knew that it was going to a good home. You are going to carry on using a piece of cooking equipment that has had a long life. I've passed lanterns and stoves to others to have and there is a great joy in knowing that it was appreciated and went to a good home.....Enjoy...and next time you see him...let him know how good the eats were off it! It just may make his day. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Re: Free griddle!

Postby dh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:21 pm

doug hodder wrote:let him know how good the eats were off it! It just may make his day. Doug

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron