What is it CI guru's??

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

What is it CI guru's??

Postby dobyman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:15 pm

I picked this up Friday at a rummage sale for $3. At first I thought I'd use it for a chicken wing fryer, but after looking at it, I got to thinking it might be something special. I figure it cant hurt to ask. There is no name on it, just the number 90 on the underside of the lid and the bottom of the pot. It has a hammered type finish on it. Its a small one too, about 7 inches in diameter, and 5 inches deep. Any ideas?? :thinking: Thanks as always!
Dobyman!
If you can't find it at a rummage sale..... you dont need it!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:20 pm

I traced 2 of my hammered finish pieces to a long gone Chicago Foundry.

It seems a lot of the swede and Norse populas have a great deal of these hammered finished cast iron in your region. I got mine from an elderly neighbor who was from Minnisota and it was in the family for 3 generations.

Please let us know the outcome Mine was a hugh chicken frier with matching hammered lid and had no decernable marking on it but it was well over 100 years old as she had the family history to her grandmother.

The hammered finish was done to relieve the stress in the casting process and thought to reduce the cracking do to impact and over fireing.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:25 pm

If you don't have an answer, you might ask at www.camp-cook.com. Lots of serious CI folks over there.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dobyman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:29 pm

Maybe I will try them. bobhenry and TLC both think its from a foundry in Chicago, but I would really like to know for sure.
Thanks! :thumbsup:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve Stephens » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:35 pm

bobhenry wrote:I traced 2 of my hammered finish pieces to a long gone Chicago Foundry.

The hammered finish was done to relieve the stress in the casting process and thought to reduce the cracking do to impact and over fireing.

You are correct about Chicago. Chicago Hardware Foundry Co. and made in the late 30s most likely. The piece is a deep fat fryer with cover which could be used for other cooking chores. A pretty scarce piece and worth some to the right collector (but not a GREAT deal). CHF made a lot of hammered ware including Nos. 3, 5, 8, and may be a larger skillet as well as dutch oven, and some other neat pieces.

The hammering is purely decorative and was popular in the late 30s and 40s. Griswold, Lodge, and Wagner also had their hammered lines. The "hammering" is cast in and not hammered after being cast. CHF bought the remains from Favorite and continued to cast many of their pieces.

Steve
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Postby dobyman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks Steve! I'll probabaly hang on to it for the time being, but may have to let it go in the future, The words "deep fat fryer" is enough to make my wife make me sell it! :lol: I bought it for wings, but if I never use it, it just takes up space, so we will see. I appreciate the info though! :thumbsup:
Thanks again, Steve
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:55 am

Think of me if you do ! It would look great next to his cousin the chicken frier. I love that hammered stuff.

Meanwhile just tell HER it is a sauce pan. :laughter:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dobyman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:37 am

:lol: What she dont know wont hurt her!! I gotta try it at least once, but Ill let you know if I decide to get rid of it. Would like to see it get a good home. :thumbsup:
Dobyman!
dobyman
Teardrop Master

Return to Cast Iron