wagner

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

wagner

Postby Justin & Katy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I have heard that Wagner Ware is just as collectible as Griswold. Is there any truth to that? Also, I found a Wagner Ware waffle maker with the stand for 55 bucks. I didn't buy it but i'm pretty sure it's still there. Is that a reasonable price?
Justin & Katy
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:55 pm

Wagner made real good stuff. Wagner and Griswold are easy to find and they both made quality stuff. Just look it over real well, checking for repairs or warped bottoms on fry pans. As for the waffle iron. That seems a little high to me. I see them sometimes for 25-45 dollars fairly often. Try offering 40-45 dollars and see what happens. Explain that it needs to be cleaned and seasoned and that the cord is missing. LOL If you have lots of yard sales and flea markets in your area you can be patient when looking. If not you may have to pay a little more. Also check Ebay completed sales to see what they are selling for . This is also a good way to explain your lower offer. Have fun buying cast iron!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Justin & Katy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:28 pm

I never see them at garage sales and flea markets here. I always see them at antique stores and they always want to much. Do you ever get any of your stuff off ebay?
Justin & Katy
Teardrop Master

Postby rainjer » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Wagner Ware is good cast iron. All of my cast iron I have for the teardrop is Wagner including my waffle iron.

As for the Wagner waffle iron you saw $55 is a little high in my opinion but I have seen them for more than $80.00 also. You do have to be careful on the Wagner 1910 patented waffle iron. There are some fake copies out there. The fakes usually have very short wooden handles.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby caseydog » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Although Wagner really made good cast iron, it seems Griswold is the stuff that gets more attention.

I'm not a "collector" of old iron, I just like the way it was made, and how it cooks. It is smoother than new stuff from Lodge and others. So, I don't care how "valuable" it is. I use my cast iron, and don't plan to sell it unless I no longer use it.

If I found a nice piece of Wagner that I would use for a good price, I'd buy it.

Sometimes things are more valuable because they are genuinely better. Other times, things are more valuable because they are more popular. It appears to me that Griswold has a bigger fan base, but Wagner is good stuff, too.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:06 pm

I'm sure that most people know this...but anytime you check a piece of iron...thunk it with a knuckle...if it rings it's good...if it doesn't it may have a hairline crack in it. Steer clear...skillets, chicken fryers and non legged pots should also sit flat...not rock. I'm no expert on this stuff, just what I've sort of learned, others may disagree. As Jeremy mentioned..there are fakes out there on some items...once you see the real deal and then see a fake...as most are Chinese/ Indian and the quality of the casting is pretty poor....you'll know the difference. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby ironhead » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:05 pm

caseydog wrote:Sometimes things are more valuable because they are genuinely better. Other times, things are more valuable because they are more popular. It appears to me that Griswold has a bigger fan base, but Wagner is good stuff, too.

CD
I agree, But lets not forget the older Lodge pieces they are just as good if not better as the Griswold's, and Wagner's out at the same time :thumbsup:
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cast Iron