Rusty spot on dutch oven

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Rusty spot on dutch oven

Postby Zollinger » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Oh cast iron gurus, forgive me for I have sinned! Getting ready to go camping this weekend, and I promised the gang that I would make a dutch oven meal one night. A couple of years ago I did the same thing, got involved with a few adult beverages after supper and forgot to clean up the dutch oven that I did dessert in. :oops: After we got home I remembered about the DO. Cleaned it up and reseasoned it, ever since there is this one spot about 3 inches on the inside of the lid that no matter what I do it rust's. This is my oldest most used oven also. I kinda figured that eventually it would quit rusting, guess not. Do I have to strip it down and reseason it? Have tried to reseason it a couple of times, but it just keeps coming back. :x
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Corwin C » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:58 pm

I had a oven with a similar problem (it was a cheap low-quality oven) in my case it was about 1/2 of the lid on the inside. I tried over and over to get the seasoning to take. I finally solved it by "forgetting" it in a 350* oven for about four hours (I only intended to leave it there for the usual 30-45 minutes.) I'm unsure, but I wonder if there was moisture deep within the iron that took an especially long exposure to heat to evaporate out or if there were pores in the oven that took a long exposure to heat to get them to fill with oil. Either way, it would be worth a try.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby Zollinger » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks Corwin. After I get back I will forget about it in the oven for a while. :lol:
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Cast Iron