Pan Identification?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Pan Identification?

Postby d30gaijin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:01 pm

I found this locally and don't know how to identify it. On the bottom is stamped:

Made in U S A
NO.10
12 7/16 in.
5H-1

Below are a couple of pics, sorry for the poor quality they were sent to me.

Any help is truly appreciated.
Don

d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Re: Pan Identification?

Postby ironhead » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:31 pm

d30gaijin wrote:I found this locally and don't know how to identify it. On the bottom is stamped:

Made in U S A
NO.10
12 7/16 in.
5H-1

Below are a couple of pics, sorry for the poor quality they were sent to me.

Any help is truly appreciated.
Don

Sounds like a Birmingham Stove and Range by the markings probably made in the early 60's :thumbsup:
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pan Identification?

Postby d30gaijin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:06 pm

ironhead wrote:Sounds like a Birmingham Stove and Range by the markings probably made in the early 60's :thumbsup:

Ironhead,

Thank you for the info. The guy wanted $20 for it and I thought maybe it was a Lodge and that price seemed a bit much so I passed. Maybe I shouldn't have?

Not to fear though, I found a nice deal locally today on some vintage Wagner Ware and vintage unknown (likely Lodge) skillets and an ash tray. Three number 5's, one of them Wagner Ware marked and 1055 on the bottom, one with a three notch heat ring and only marked with a large 5 on the bottom and a small 6 directly above that by about 1" and just inside the heat ring (at 12 o'clock position if the handle is considered the 6 o'clock position) and 2 on the underside of the handle, one with the only marking being a 5 on the top of the handle i.e., nothing marked on the bottom that I can see at this time, a Wagner Ware 7E marked with heat ring, another Wagner Ware marked 8 on the handle and 1058 on the bottom, and a tiny Wagner Ware marked 1050 on the bottom ash tray. All are in nice rust free condition, although they have a lot of built up grease/crud from years of use. The Wagner Ware 8 1058 does have some bow in the pan bottom and rocks some but as a user it'll work fine on a gas stove or grill. Got all six for $40. The Wagner 7E w/heat ring is in the electro solution as I write.

I picked up a Griswold 7 (701D) skillet the other day (block lettering in the large circled cross and Erie PA USA no heat ring aka vintage 1920-1940), which is a very nice skillet and in very nice clean condition but for the life of me I don't understand the fascination with Griswold? Like I said, it's a very nice skillet but for actual cooking (I'm a cooker not a collector... uh yet) I would prefer vintage Lodge or Wagner as they are thicker/heavier and would seemingly make better medium to high heat cooking skillets.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron