My newest addition *Broken* Wood/Coal burner CI stove/heater

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Got the check in today from the U.S. Postal Service! I think this is the very first time I can honestly say I like the USPS! :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:37 pm

My little E-bay find showed up lame also. I wasn't smart enough to gripe I guess. I just repaired it as best I could and it is still working. Congratz on getting them to own up to the shipping abuse. :thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:12 pm

bobhenry wrote:My little E-bay find showed up lame also. I wasn't smart enough to gripe I guess. I just repaired it as best I could and it is still working. Congratz on getting them to own up to the shipping abuse. :thumbsup:

Well, the sender insured it for the full price I paid and it definately was the USPS's fault. The box had a puncture hole on the side where the foot went through it, probably from being thrown around. And the box had 'FRAGILE' stamped all over it, by the Post Office!!

So I filed a claim online, sent 2 pictures of the broken foot and within 2 days they sent me an email saying they had processed the claim and would be sending a check. In exactly one week I had filed a claim online, got a response and received the check! Now that is customer service!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Martini » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 am

Thats a sweet stove, It's good to hear the USPS did right by you this time.
Martini
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mightydog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:06 am

A big part of my job is dealing with the USPS. They're really improved customer service over the past ten years...

Post pix of the stove when you have it up and warming folks!
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks Martini...I think it's pretty cool.

Mightydog, I have gotten some really good service from the USPS and some extremely poor face-to-face customer service too. I was prepared to battle when I filed the damage claim but was shocked when everything went so smooth and efficient.

So, I'm happy with them (this month). :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Question: Stove/Heater

Postby ELCHILEON » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm not trying to take over this thread ..but, I posted this on another " Forum " ( Camp-Cook ) and was hoping for some " INFO " .. ?

" We found a small booth in an " Antique Shop " that was liquidating all of it's inventory. I noticed a small, cast iron Stove/Heater priced @ $99.99.@ 70 % off marked price

Approx 19 1/2 " Tall x 10 " Dia : 4 Major Parts to disassemble.

Missing a few parts : 1. Chimney/ 2. Bottom Air Control Vent ?.
Has a functional working flue/ damper ? ( Top Rod sticking out of ).

I was unable to find a maker, or decifer what appears to be a possible casting code / date " 11- S ? 8 ? - 1 ? 4 ? - 4 "

It's not complete, but looked to be in good overall shape & seemed to be " Slightly Used ".. condition, with very liitle rust !!

Total price paid " $30.30 " D:

I really don't think its an " Original Piece " ,.. very possibly a reproduction.. ?? "

L.M.
Last edited by ELCHILEON on Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:55 pm

ELCHILEON, I can't help you out with any information but it looks nice especially for that price.

Mine was missing a chimney also but I can always make one. Other than that it came with all the working parts.

Nice find! :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby ELCHILEON » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Hey Cajun Lady,

I don't want to spend tooo much , time , effort or $$$ , .. if its a " Junker ".. !

But for thirty dollars .. , I could always use it for " Camping ", as a small Grill or Fire Pit , without the upper portion (Chimney ).

Thanks for the relpy!

:thinking:
Last edited by ELCHILEON on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:28 am

It is by no means a "junker" that little coal burner will handle anything you want to toss in it. I went to the boys at the muffler shop and had them make me a chimney (about $15.00 as memory serves me) I reshaped the pipe to the oval by heating and belled it out with a ball peen hammer. The nice part about exhaust pipe is they can make it in 2 or 3 pieces if you wish. Be sure and flare out the piece below and not above so any condensate or tars will funnel back down the chimney without leaking out.
As to the little draft control door .... It is very important kinda like throwing a big rock on your accelerator pedal in the car. A small piece of thin steel plate or heavy gage material can be fashioned to replace it.

A square cookie or candy tin left in the clean out opening can serve as an ash pan. If you want to spend the $$$ a sheetmetal shop could fabricate one. Either way it make clean out a lot less messy.

That little gem deserves a good work out but please dont just set it out in the rain to rust. :cry:

Image Here is an E bay picture of a stove exactly like mine. :D

P.S. There were 2 on e bay yesterday use "salesman sample stove" as your search.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ELCHILEON » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:18 am

Hey Bobhenry,

It been sitting inside my garage .. I wasn't sure what to do with it ??

Thanks for the " Advice "..

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Cast Iron