Muffin Pan - Double Marked

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Muffin Pan - Double Marked

Postby Loader » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Have to admit I have never seen a pan of any type with double brand markings. Has anyone seen these before? Any idea why they were double branded? Any idea on value?

Thanks

Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:37 pm

During the 1940s, Griswold faced increasing financial difficulties due to competition from other companies such as Wagner, and by 1946 no members of the Griswold family were left in the firm. Ultimately Griswold sold its molds, tooling, patterns, patents, proprietary rights, and trademark rights to Wagner in 1957. Rather than retool a pattern - they just engraved the one they acquired. Cast iron double stamped with the words Wagner and Griswold (and therefore made after the 1957 sale) have almost no collectible value - but they are cool no matter what they are valued

http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/guidegriswoldi_spec.htm
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Loader » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks for the link and info Scott!

Earl
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steve Stephens » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:16 pm

The double marked pieces were a product of General Housewares Corp. when they owned the combined Wagner and Griswold from 1969 to 1979. I remember seeing them in some stores new around 1980.

Whether all of the pieces were cast from old Griswold and Wagner patterns I am not sure. That popover pan is of Griswold descent though it might have been a new pattern rather than a modified original Griswold one.

In my opinion, the information in the link you gave starleen22 isn't the most accurate. Nor is the historic information given in the American Culinary, current owners of what might remain of Griswold and Wagner, website. Probably the best information is contained in the Book of Griswold and Wagner and on the Wagner and Griswold Society website.
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cast Iron