Wapak Indian Head...

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Wapak Indian Head...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:31 pm

Wapak made Hollow Ware High Grade Skillets, sizes 2-14 from 1903-1926.
These skillets feature a beautiful Indian Head Medalion on the bottom of the skillet and have a unique handle.
"They" say that the #4 is the rarest of 'em all, but... I've seen several #4's on Ebay.

What I want to know is... Has anyone here ever seen a #2, #5 or #14???... I haven't. :thinking:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby ironhead » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Have not seen any of the sizes you mentioned. But I'm most proud of my beautiful #12 Indian Head Medallion
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Stephens » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:48 pm

There are No. 4-12 of the Indian Wapak skillets and that's it. I've seen several complete collections of those numbers but no No.2, 13, or 14. Much of the information written about iron cookware in the earlier days of our collecting was, more or less, someone's guess. Much more is known today. Watch out for the No.4 Indian REPRODUCTION or, actually, a fake since the handle is like a regular skillet and not the distinctive Wapak Indian handles.
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Steve,
Are you sure about #13 and #14???
During my searches, I found a website that listed auction items...
There was a page on that website, from an auction in 2007, that listed a set of Wapak Indianhead skillets, sizes #3-#14. The listed winning bid was $2,017.00. No pics though...

I have a #3, #6, #7, #8 and #9 and cook with them at home and while camping.
Ohh... I also have the double ball Wapak Indianhead Waffle Iron and it's Joanie's favorite for making waffles. :twisted:
I'm aware of the fake #4's and doubt I'll ever pay what the real #4's go for. I'd rather shoot for the larger ones.
I still find it odd that I've never seen a #5 on Ebay when the #4's are supposed to be the hen's teeth of the bunch.

On the bright side, if #2, #13 & #14 don't exist... I'm halfway there. :thumbsup:
BTW- I recently did some steelwork on a steel/glass home on top of a hill in San Anselmo... Nice Area!!! :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Steve Stephens » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:24 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote: I found a website that listed auction items...
There was a page on that website, from an auction in 2007, that listed a set of Wapak Indianhead skillets, sizes #3-#14.

Oh, dang, why do you have to bust my bubble Dean? I really was sure of no 13 or 14 but your seeing an auction for them makes me wonder a little bit. I've been collecting iron for about 45 years and had been very busy on the WAGS forum until a few years ago. I'm sure I would have remembered if a 13 or 14 had popped up. A big southern California collector had what he and I thought was a full set and it went 3-12 I'm certain. Guess we all have to keep looking for those elusive big Indians. I had a No.5 many years ago when Indians were $5-50 if even that much. Don't know how much my nice 4 was bought for but not very much. I only kept my 3 and one of these days it may find a new home. I have a ton of 19th century stovetop skillets to sell. That's what I've been concentrating on collecting the past several decades but time to thin down from almost 200 of them. No lists or photos yet; have to get working on that.

Hey, if you get back to San Anselmo or anywhere close look me up and I'll show you my iron and an old tiny trailer right in the heart of S.A. I don't have a trailer but did go to a gathering last year or two in the Russian River area.
415-453-7790
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Postby Zollinger » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Today I recieved DH's Grandmothers #8 today, along with 4 others. One is not marked, the rest I can't tell what they are with all the crud on them. I was surprised when I flipped it over and saw the Wapak Indian Head! I think it's a #8, needs some TLC.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve Stephens » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Here's the skinny on the supposed Wapak Indian No.13 and 14 skillets-
They don't and didn't exist. Typo probably. Should anyone find one of those sizes they would probably be worth a new teardrop.

http://www.gcica.org/cgi-local/yabb/YaB ... 1287848503
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 pm

God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron