More cast iron?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

More cast iron?

Postby Joamon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 pm

So once again the wife and I go to the monthly flee market. Boy what a good time. I went twice in three days . 8) I found and old outdoor dutch oven, the kind with a handle on it. I have been looking at these for a long time, scratching my head and thinking about buying one.(I already have three of the newer ones without handles only the bale) So I always ask how much but usually they are way to proud. This lady had two. One was about a #10 and the other about a #12. Neither one had a lid. When I ask how much, she said $15.00 each. O.K.!!! Now I have to decide and justify do I need one or two? The #10 had a braised spot where a hole had been repaired, so I went with the #12. :D :D Now to find a lid. This place is huge!! I figure there has to be a lid somewhere, Right? Well I did find one within the hour, A Lodge #12 brand new with the tag still on it.( an indoor dome style) It seemed to fit almost perfect. It was marked $20.00. A little steep for me. So I asked the guy whats his best price. He says $15.00. I offer $12.00. He says no. So I walk. Well about the time I was ready to leave I find a guy with an outdoor style #12 recessed lid. $22.50. Holly cow I olny paid $15 for the oven. WellI need a lid and I don'twant to get home and regret not buying one so I got him down to $17.00.
Total investment $32.00. Not to bad. I get home and realize the lid doesn't fit quite as well as the Lodge. Dope :o . So when the wife and I went back Two days later, Guess what I did. Yep I looked up the guy with the Lodge lid. Dope!! :cry: :cry: I asked him how much today. He thought foor a long time. To my surprise he remembered me. (There really is ALOT of people at this place) He said $12.00. Yea!!
Now I'm in business.
So my question is How come I don't see these on line much? Are they undesirable because no bale? Are they just rare? What? Anyway here are some pics.

Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby doug hodder » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:09 pm

That's a spider skillet....originals can go back to the 1870's, but I'm no expert. Check the bottom and see if there is a "gate" mark. It should appear as a long narrow cast line that has been ground down. I'm no expert on cast iron...but I haven't heard of any new repops on spider skillets. Who knows...I could be completely wet on it all.

As far as lids...I got a nice hammered finish chicken fryer from Griswold...and spent more for the matching lid for it that I did for the skillet...that's not uncommon. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Joamon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Yes it does have a gate mark. The guy I bought the first lid from said that yes they can date to the late 1800's on up to the 1940's.
Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Return to Cast Iron