Poll: Using antique or late model DOs?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Poll: Using antique or late model DOs?

Postby Old Virginia Joe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:10 am

Do those of you in-the-know about the folks on this and camp-cook websites know whether MOST people who write in here and attend the DOGs use really old c.i. DOs, or the more late-model pieces in their cooking? I am trying to get a fix on the quantity of old (say 50 years or older) pieces that are still in use, versus the more recently cast pieces.

I have all old pieces, with some spider type DOs so old they have the gate marks under the bottom, as well as a Tite-Top camp oven. I'd like to understand where the old stuff fits into the current known population of DO inventory nationwide. Maybe alot of the old stuff was recycled for bombs during WWII? Can anyone address this type question(s)?

Does anyone know when the Tite-top name was discontinued, so I can min-date my TT piece? Thanks! :thinking:
Support the Constitution!
Old Virginia Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ratkity » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:59 am

If you have way too many of those little DO's with the spider on them, I shall gladly remove the burden of them from you!! ;) hehe.

Can't help you on questions, but am pleading for pictures!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:13 am

I look for the one off sand casted pieces. I am not big on Names.

Of the 30 or so pieces I have a would guess less than 1/2 have any decernable markings as to Mfg.

The old ones are all as smooth as babies butts inside and rough as hell where it "just don't matter". The newer pieces seem to be a bit porous inside. It might be that wear has simply worn the older pieces this smooth. I have verbal confirmation on 3 pieces going back 4 generations in their families so I know first hand the are early 1900's pieces.

Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:25 am

I have a theory you can laugh and call me silly if you want but......

Back when , the metal reclaimation was a bit different when you melted down a hudson or a desoto you got mostly steel. Today we have a more diverse selection in metal recycling . Despite the best efforts of the mills I feel certain aluminum and plastics still make the furnaces and may contribute to the difference in the quality of steel that is available for these newer castings.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Old Virginia Joe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:06 pm

Ratkity wrote:If you have way too many of those little DO's with the spider on them, I shall gladly remove the burden of them from you!! ;) hehe.

Can't help you on questions, but am pleading for pictures!

Hugs,
Ratkity

You misunderstand me on the word spider. I don't say they have a "spider (image) on them," but that they are the spider type pan, meaning a skillet looking pan with three legs (and an ash lid on top.). There is no artwork. Am not real skilled in the transfer of pics to the computer unfortunately. Sorry to get u excited for naught.
Old Virginia Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Old Virginia Joe » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:15 pm

bobhenry wrote:I look for the one off sand casted pieces. I am not big on Names.

Of the 30 or so pieces I have a would guess less than 1/2 have any decernable markings as to Mfg.

The old ones are all as smooth as babies butts inside and rough as hell where it "just don't matter". The newer pieces seem to be a bit porous inside. It might be that wear has simply worn the older pieces this smooth. I have verbal confirmation on 3 pieces going back 4 generations in their families so I know first hand the are early 1900's pieces.

Bob---some comments on your pics. The roughness of the center of the bottom of that pan you show with the gatemarks, appears to me to show evidence that this pan has been used a lot over a gas flame. I am told that gas use creates that worn away surface on c.i. You see away from the middle, where the flame was not concentrated is as somooth as you would hope. When new, that surface was smooth all around. Are you aware of that information? Anyone else?

The second picture you show of the pan with a sticker in the middle, I have several skillets with that type handle, and I count them as some of the oldest I have, plus the gate marks back up that fact. Any idea of the maker on that style handle?

Old Virginia Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:09 pm

How do you explain the amalgamation just inside the fire ring at 3 o clock then.

The eruption appears to be exactly the same as what is in the center.

I thought it was simply ground flat where necessary for the skillet to set flat on the wood stove once the cover lid was removed.

Not knowing the history of this skillet, could this damage be attributed to electrolisis from setting in water for long periods of time.

The deposit at 3 o'clock however is not missing material it is EXTRA material I could only attribute this to the mold collapsing at the fire ring indentation in the mold negative.

In short I just can't see the damage being attributed to a gas stove flame.

There are far worse off gasses in a wood fire than in natural or even LP gas.

As to the handle ...The gentle curve fits well in the hand and the number "7" cast in the handle indicates to me it fits inside the 7" well on a wood fired range after the 7 inch cover lid is removed. The fire ring on the bottom of the skillet measures 6 3/4 " +/- leaving about 1/8" clearance inside the 7" well.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Joe,
All I have and use that is old are my Wapak Indianhead skillets and various waffle irons. My oldest camp oven is only 30-40 years old.
I did win a very old Colonial era spider on Ebay, but it showed up with a crack in it.
(Crack was old, didn't happen in shipping)
The seller refunded the money & I returned it... :(

I see old stuff being used by others here and there and I believe in using it... Wouldn't do me any good just to display it.
I do prefer the old stuff over the new, but don't have a fat enough wallet to go that route...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Rock » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:15 am

I've never seen an "old" camp DO in the wild. I don't think there ever were that many of them and as people started to get stoves/ranges in their houses I'm sure they saw no absolutely use for them. Most likely got tossed or melted during some wartime scrap metal drive (maybe starting with the Civil War?)

Camping didn't become a widespread recreational activity probably until after WWI? The only people who were using camp DO in the late 19th/early 20th century were probably hard core hunters (buffalo) types or people in very rural areas of North America.

Just some thoughts.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike B » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:28 am

I use this indoor DO on a routine basis to experiment with new recipes. Last time I used it was last week.

The DO is from the late 30's and is a Griswold. I got it at an auction and it had no lid, so I bought a new Lodge lid for it. I had to grind down the lip on the lid so it would fit the pot, but it fits very well now. This is a great pot and I will continue to use it in my kitchen.

BTW, I took this picture this morning on my front porch. The snow makes a great background. It's 10 degrees F out there, so I was only out for a minute. I think I'll spend most of today indoors. ;)

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Prem » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm

On old cast iron cookware that has never rusted on the cooking surface, you can still see the tiny milling marks that made the casting smooth on the cooking surface.

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I like old cast iron, like Griswold, because it is smoother. New stuff, even good brands like Lodge, are pretty rough, in comparison.

I use enameled cast iron in my kitchen, and old Griswold stuff when I want to cook over coals.

I just like a smooth surface -- a personal preference.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Assassin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:00 pm

i have old cast iron as well as some of the newer lodge brand, really like the old better. Some of it was my Dad's, some i pick up at estate sales, and yard sales. :thumbsup:
Assassin
Teardrop Inspector

do

Postby doitright » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:30 pm

I have old and new. At the start of the collecting I just got what I could afford. Found the the old is better. Easy to get a good black shine on it and also cleans very easy. I have some new like a 12 deep 12 inch, 10 inch, and a 14 do all new lodge. Well they are good but still love the old spider that I have. It never sticks and has the bite mark.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby ironhead » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:43 pm

I prefer older or newer Lodge Camp Ovens for the fact they have a tighter fitting lid and are cast thicker and also retain heat better.
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cast Iron