Gatemark top, gatemark bottom?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Gatemark top, gatemark bottom?

Postby Old Virginia Joe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Here's one for you c.i. technology experts. Would you think it was matching, original parts, if you saw a footed No. 6 camp DO, and you saw gate mark on the bottom of the pot, but no gate mark on the accompanying lid? I saw this at a junk shop this weekend, and figured it had to be an odd mating. If the technology available at the time of manufacture for one part was to create gatemarks, then I would assume the same technology would be employed to manufacture the lid, right? I looked closely, and I saw no signs in the surface there had ever been one on the lid, and just ground off. The quality of the pieces was high, and a nice fit, too. :thinking:
Support the Constitution!
Old Virginia Joe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:56 am

I'm certainly no expert but I'd like to see a pic of a camp DO with the gate on the bottom. I've never seen one though I haven't Googled it. It's possible the lid and bottom are different ages, or that it was made in a transitional period where the manufacturer felt that a gate on the bottom of the pot was no big deal, and edge gated the lid and either filed or ground the gate mark off. Dunno. Just speculating. Hopefully someone knowledgable will chime in.

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:20 am

Having on a couple of occasions done some some sand casting of aluminum I would think the lid would need to be pored on edge. Looking at the lift handle there should be a small spine running the length of the handle where the top and bottom sand molds were joined

The handle would be 1/2 in the top and 1/2 in the bottom mold there would be no other way to cast the loop handle in a sand mold. Therefore the pour gate would be a small ground spot on the edge of the lid.

Anyone got any friends at lodge to confirm my wild A$$ guess ?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:29 am

Rock wrote:I'm certainly no expert but I'd like to see a pic of a camp DO with the gate on the bottom. I've never seen one though I haven't Googled it. It's possible the lid and bottom are different ages, or that it was made in a transitional period where the manufacturer felt that a gate on the bottom of the pot was no big deal, and edge gated the lid and either filed or ground the gate mark off. Dunno. Just speculating. Hopefully someone knowledgable will chime in.

Eric

Here is your gate mark on an ancient skillet

Here is a 120 year old griddle ? biscuit pan ?? whatever showing the mold mark indicating it was poured on its side

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Rock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Thanks Bob. Have you ever seen a legged dutch oven with the gate in the center bottom though?

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:31 am

Look what I tripped over .......

http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1281211085/6

Several u tube videos at the bottom on sand casting.

Discussion hints that mid 1800 to very early 1900 most castings were bottom pour gates.

Later they were side pour gates. The side pours left a raised band just below the centerline as the pot sets upright.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Dutch Oven

Postby JIC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:05 pm

Speaking of dutch ovens, I have a old dutch oven that my great
Granddad use to use when he went camping. It must be nearly a
100 years old or older. It has 10 in and GC cast into the bottom of it.
The lid has 10 in and what looks like C H Co cast into it. It also has three
short legs on the bottom. Maybe some of you collectors can give me a
glue as to how old it is and who made it.

Jim C.
JIC
Teardrop Inspector

gate mark

Postby doitright » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:23 pm

I have a spider 12" the bottom on the pot has a gate mark. The top also has a gate mark on the underside then a patch over that looks cool sorry no photos.
doitright
P.S. I do have a photo on it in my album first page second row first photo.

The top looks larger but that is due to the angle of the photo. The top dose fit on the pot.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Return to Cast Iron