I blame Dean (New old Cast)

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

I blame Dean (New old Cast)

Postby Joamon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:09 pm

The wife and I got to go to the monthly trades days last week. I usually like to treat myself to a peice or two of cast if I can find something I NEED
(wink wink) at a good deal. I had just recently watched the video of Dean cooking a turkey so I decided I needed to buy a BIG piece of cast to be able to cook a real peice of meat. :yes: There is a guy there with a Lodge 14" outdoor dutch oven that I have had my eye on for a couple of months. He started out at $150 and was now down to $100. Thought about making him an offer but decided to wait. I saw another no-name for $60. Kept looking around and got to talking to a guy who had a bunch of odds and ends cast. I told him I like the dutch ovens and he went over to his van and said I think I have one in here somewhere. He pulled out a rusty 14". :applause: I asked how much, he said $30. I had to hold my composure. I offered him $25 and he thought about it but didn't bite.
Oh well I tried.

It had a good layer of surface rust but it came clean with the normal amout of effort. It also has the roughest texture of any that I own, but the lid fits well. It seems to be better made than most of the china stuff I have seen and even the camp chef, but it is a no-name. I still would like to find something a little deeper, but that can wait till another day.
Anyway Thanks Dean for the inspiration.
:D Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:47 pm

Great deal! What are you going to make first and what time should we all arrive? Nice job on cleaning it up as well. :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Would that be Dean of the Redwoods? ha ha...

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:58 pm

:) Glad you were inspired,,,,a story nicely told and your new addition turned out wonderfully. Have a delicious first dish in it. Tell us how it went.

Joanie
TdN
Click on the Outdoor Cast Iron pot below to see our Cooking Channel. Bon appetite!
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:17 am

Awesome!!! :thumbsup: :applause:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Re: I blame Dean (New old Cast)

Postby ironhead » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Joamon wrote: but it is a no-name. .
:D Keith
After looking at the characteristics of your oven I believe what you have is a Lodge circa 1940's early 60's :thumbsup: Nice one too btw
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Prem » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Keith, REALLY nice collection!

Congrats on the new one.

Prem :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Cast Iron