Need some identification help...

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Need some identification help...

Postby caseydog » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Someone on a BBQ forum I frequent is trying to identify this 14-inch cast iron skillet. Anyone know anything about it?

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ironhead » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 pm

It's a Lodge Circa 40's 60's Some people thought because the way the (U.S) was on the back that it was made for the Military but that is not the case. The US was put on the castings meaning United States to let everyone know they were American made and also of most importance to the molder was the casting number, its origin (US) and the molder mark, (this is what he was paid by)
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 am

It's a really fine lookin' one...only needs a bit of bacon and eggs in it! :D
TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Kevin & Sandy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:42 am

That size pan is perfect for a GREAT roast chicken recipe I just tried the other night. This roast chicken is done much quicker because the chicken is flattened out, that's why you need the big pan.

You need one whole chicken, take a knife and cut on each side of the backbone and remove backbone, neck, etc. Try to flatten the chicken as best you can on the cutting board. Get your pan warming up with a little olive oil and a pat of butter. When the pan is up to frying temp, place chicken breast down for about 3 minutes. Now you can season it, a little salt and pepper, or I like Lemon-pepper.
After 3 minutes of frying CAREFULLY pick up the whole bird (so the golden brown skin stays together) and flip over. Now put the bird in an oven at 400 for 45 minutes, skillet and all.
After 45 minutes (be sure to check with your thermometer that the bird is done), take it out of the oven and place the chicken on a cutting board, then cut it into pieces.
Put the skillet back on a burner and warm up, then squeeze half a lemon into the pan with the drippings and stir for a glaze. Pour this glaze over the chicken pieces.

How easy could that be? It's very tasty too !!! :applause:
Kevin & Sandy
The 300 Club

Postby Dusty82 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for the recipe - sounds great!

I agree that the skillet in the pic is a Lodge. The dead giveaway is the 3 notches in the heat ring on the bottom at the 9, 12, and 3 o'clock positions. We have a 14-inch skillet that's identical to it, and we love it.
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby Assassin » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 pm

nice skillet and good recipe for chicken...... :thumbsup:
Assassin
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cast Iron