Help with I.D. of Dutch Oven

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Help with I.D. of Dutch Oven

Postby ELCHILEON » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey everyone,

Just picked up another " Dutch Oven " at my Local Swapmeet Walks.

Heres a photo of the Lid.
I Burned off the old grease & let it soak overnight in a " Vinegar Bath " & just finished scrubbing in the sink .

Heres the " Pot " after Burning off the Grease & a quick scrubbing before heading into the ' Vinegar Bath "..

It was very smooth & thin walled compared to some of my other " Dutch Ovens ". That was the main reason for picking it up ,as I really didn't need another one of that size !

Anyone have some info on this " Dutch Oven ".. ?

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ratkity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:54 pm

The lid inside looks like a Wagner, but I'm not sure. I'm sure some of the CI vets will chime in.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby ironhead » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:12 pm

These pieces with the diamond with a number are thought to be either made by Favorite Piqua or from the Chicago Hardware Foundry. somewhere down the road Chicago Hardware Foundry acquired the "patterns" of Piqua Favorite and it really isn't known for sure which of the two made them.
ironhead
Teardrop Advisor

DO I.D.

Postby ELCHILEON » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info.. Can anyone guesstimate on quality of " Chicago Hardware Foundry ( Piqua ?) " compared to other cast iron Companies, & possibly the age of my " DO " ??

Used ?
Vintage ?
Antique ?

L.M.
ELCHILEON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Stephens » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:41 am

I'm not too sure that these diamond marked pieces were made by Favorite or CHF who bought Favorite in 1933 when they went bankrupt. There are clear similarities but some differences that make me wonder. Maybe...maybe not.

Your DO is probably from the 30s. Both Favorite and CHF made very high quality products but not quite as high as Griswold usually did.
Steve Stephens
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cast Iron