I need some cleaning help

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

I need some cleaning help

Postby dh » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:06 pm

We like to try new DO recipies in the oven durring the winter so we arn't learning in ''the field''. I degress, the old lady made a breakfast cassaroll in the DO and forgot to oil it first, I'v had it soaking for two days and the chees and egg arn't comming off. any ideas before I get out the dish soap and have to reseason?
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby rbeemer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:24 pm

I think if you have had it soaking for this long you are going to have to re-season.

Have you tried either a pressure washer or putting water in and stick it in the oven and trying to "boil " the water.

These are just my best guess my own experience has been scrubbing with a plastic pad or bamboo brush that you use on a wok and then seasoning
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby sdakotadoug » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:33 pm

Putting it back in the oven with some water and boiling it gets my vote. Worked on the one occasion one of my daughters put one away for me and I discovered it a couple of days later. Doug
sdakotadoug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kevin A » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:32 pm

sdakotadoug wrote:Putting it back in the oven with some water and boiling it gets my vote. Worked on the one occasion one of my daughters put one away for me and I discovered it a couple of days later. Doug
I agree, bring some water to a boil and scrape the stuck on food with a plastic scraper. Empty the DO and rinse with some clean hot water, dry the DO and oil it lightly. It'll be ready for your next cook-out
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 am

Kevin A wrote:
sdakotadoug wrote:Putting it back in the oven with some water and boiling it gets my vote. Worked on the one occasion one of my daughters put one away for me and I discovered it a couple of days later. Doug
I agree, bring some water to a boil and scrape the stuck on food with a plastic scraper. Empty the DO and rinse with some clean hot water, dry the DO and oil it lightly. It'll be ready for your next cook-out

Yep !

Did toasted cheese in a C.I. skillet last night and there is nothing in my book worse than stuck on burnt cheese. Just boiled for about 2 minutes and scrubbed it clean with a scotch brite pad. It was quick and easy then dried it on the burner and re oiled. It's ready to go again.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Boiling water did the trick. :thumbsup:

I did go ahead and oil the inside and "bake" for about 30 min.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

sticking

Postby doitright » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:28 pm

boiling water works great when things stick in cast iron. If I have to do the boil, next few times I will deep fry or cook a lot of bacon in it. Your cast needs oil all the way through the cast iron to keep it non stick. When you season the cast iron it puts on a very thin coat of oil in the cast. The more you use it the better. I keep from boiling in mine or cooking high acid foods until it has at least a year of good frying.
doitright
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:41 am

That different.....

I boil mine after each use to eliminate the need to scrub the hell out of the cast ( and the built up seasoning) with a scotchbrite pad.

I boil for only about 2 minutes then wash in warm water only and rinse. I will then set it back on the burner to dry completely and re oil while warm.

I can fry an egg in 13 of the 14 skillets I own! :thumbsup:
Last edited by bobhenry on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:48 am

On a "kinda" related question. I have one skillet that all but refuses to season and finally I decided work or die. I left it on the burner to super heat bone dry. I then took a big blob of crisco on a thick paper towel pad and smeared the insides while hot hot hot! We smoked up the kitchen a bit but it appears to have worked the gray is gone and it is looking better.Has anyone else seasoned a pot on the stove top or over the campfire
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 am

Cleaning spin.....

I was trying to remove some dried on vegatable soup leavings on my favorite wagner square skillet last night. When I went to pick up the scotchbrite pad I usually use it had died. Yep! it was a tattered rag of a thing more like wet toilet paper than a scrubbing aid, so I tossed it and grabbed for another in the appropriate drawer. There were no more :x .

Well it wasn't gonna come clean without a little help it had already been boiling for 4-5 minutes.

As I glanced around I spied one lone onion in the mesh onion bag :thinking:

Nylon mesh Hummm! cut off the tags and the little metal crimp on the bottom and shook a couple remaining onion skins in the trash. I then wadded it up to wash the skillet.

Worked like a charm ! It is now rinsed and dried and tossed in my D.O. ditty bag with the outdoor cooking supplies :D
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Cast Iron