Dumb question I know you guys can answer

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Dumb question I know you guys can answer

Postby flygal6 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Am getting ready for CBTL V in Sheboygan in a couple of weeks and putting the recipes together. As I am looking at these "dump cake" vs "cobbler type " recipes where its basically fruit or pie filling on the bottom and some butter and cake mix on top.
Here's my question: some are very spcific about mixing the cake mix according to the box directions and the other just say add the cake mix or sprinkle the cake mix around evenly on top and maybe add a can of 7-up over it. What is the basic difference? There is no problem with it cooking un-mixed? If it doesn't mention to mix up the cake mix, should I assume to just add it dry? or with the 7 -up? :oops: This has just left me a bit confused.
Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks
Carol :)
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Carol, The desserts I have made that say make the cake per the box directions come out more like a cake where the ones that start with dry cake and add 7up are more of a crust type topping. Both are very good.
I will be seeing you at Cooler next weekend! I am making a dessert also and I'm doing a trial run for Easter and using the family like a test kitchen. You might do the same. All these recipes can be done in the oven also.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be great!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Dumb question I know you guys can answer

Postby Betsey » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:53 pm

flygal6 wrote:Here's my question: some are very spcific about mixing the cake mix according to the box directions and the other just say add the cake mix or sprinkle the cake mix around evenly on top and maybe add a can of 7-up over it. What is the basic difference? There is no problem with it cooking un-mixed? If it doesn't mention to mix up the cake mix, should I assume to just add it dry? or with the 7 -up? :oops: This has just left me a bit confused.

Hi Carol!

Here's my $.02...

I've done it with butter and with soda, just putting slices of butter on top or gently pouring soda over it. If I'm using a can of soda, I prefer to combine the soda with the cake mix & then spread it over the fruit. This way, I don't have spots of dry cake mix when it is done cooking. Doing it this way, it will be more cake-like (light) & uniform.

I have never followed the recipe on the box (with oil, eggs, etc).

Did you make a cobbler at the CICO a couple years back? If so, how did that turn out? (I don't remember).

Good Luck!

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flygal6 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:21 pm

thanks Betsy......yes we did that together and that was what I thought I remembered. Yes, it turned out great (that was my maiden preparation in my new DO). So, I was struggling with what I remembered us doing and not having really read the recipe on print, wasn't sure which I should be doing. I think I got it now. Planning an apple peach dump thingy. Sure will miss not seeing you this year. I will have my brand new TT Starcraft AR-1 with me.

Looking forward to seeing you again too Woodbutcher. I missed last years CBTL. Yep, I saw you are doing the chocolate cherry surprise, so that's why I went with a different flavor. The big decision is weather to use the 12" for the dessert or the shepard's pie. I am opting for using the 12" for the desert, due to the expansion factor and loading up the 8" for the shepperd's pie. Thanks for your input
Carol
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:13 am

I have also made both, and prefer the butter method.

Blackberry is my favorite.

I use a 10" Dutch Oven, parchment paper on the bottom, dump blackberry pie filling in, cover it with yellow cake mix. Take a stick of butter, slice it and drop it in a pattern all over the top so all the cake mix gets a little butter. Bake with 14 coals on top, 6 on the bottom for about 30 minutes.

I have also doubled the recipe in a 12" Dutch Oven. It doubles the time to cook, pretty much, but tastes just fine.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:53 am

I have a new favorite dump cobler you put in the three berry (black blue and raspberry) i put a little sugar cinnamine and butter in 1st then berrys pour the yellow cake mix dry over the berrys then pour a ginger ale over thet add the rest at least 3/4 stick of butterand little more suger and cinnamine 10 " oven 350* you'll know when its done The ideal of puttting in gingeer ale with cake mix to make sure there is no dry cake is good one. the cake has a harder crust then cake I like it better this way.
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flygal6 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Thanks guys for your suggestions. This gives me some good ideas to try.
Caro
flygal6
Teardrop Master

Return to Cast Iron