HF cast iron?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

HF cast iron?

Postby egjacks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:19 pm

So i was in Harbor Freight the other day and I saw that they had a set of three cast iron pans for $14. I have never used C I but I want to get some for camping. I am very frugal (AKA dirt poor) and have sticker shock even from the lesser quality lodge brands or similar. So my question is this: will an inferior set of CI ruin my experience or simply be not quite as good as having a nice set?

Eric
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby rbeemer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 pm

you could have a good experience or not. Your experience could be bad even using a Lodge Dutch Oven, it is up to you.
I think one of the things to look at is how even are the walls of your dutch oven. If they are very inconsistent then you will not get even heating and may burn some of your food while other parts are cooked just right.

If these are skillet type pans the same applies but not as critical.

Just my opinion.
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Mike B » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:18 pm

My 12" deep DO from Harbor Freight has warped and the lid now wobbles on the base. I'm sure it was not warped when I bought it, as I am anal about that. :)

Buyer beware.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby len19070 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Everything has a Purpose...Even Harbor Freight Crap!

I have a Harbor Freight Dutch oven. I only use it for Baking Potato's at Pot luck Dinners.

For $14....that's its purpose. Nothing fancy, its a one trick pony!

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby egjacks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:16 pm

ok, so these don't have lids. which means warping *might* be less of an issue. I have not been back to the store to check to see if they have even walls... just so I understand, by even do you mean the thickness is consistent all the way around or are you talking about the smoothness of the walls. I seem to recall that smoothness was important as well.

here is the link if y'all are interested.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-cast-iron-frying-pans-44707.html
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby egjacks » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:21 pm

harbor freight wrote: * Small: 6'' diameter x 1-3/8'' deep
* Medium: 7-1/2'' diameter x 1-5/8'' deep
* Large: 10'' diameter x 1-7/8'' deep

do you think these are good sizes for camping?
Eric
Teardrop Master

Re: HF cast iron?

Postby Alfred » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:47 pm

egjacks wrote:...So my question is this: will an inferior set of CI ruin my experience or simply be not quite as good as having a nice set?...

Eric

Hey Eric,

We too are on a budget. I can't speak to the HF pans, but I bought a medium no-name cast iron fry-pan at Big-Lots a few years ago for $4.00, and I use it all the time, works fine.

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:49 pm

I have a little different take on this. Buy better stuff. That being said better does not have to be new. The old cast iron is far and away better then anything you will buy new now, Lodge included. I have a stack of fry pans that I have picked up at flea markets, garage sales and estate sales. Last week at a flea market I picked up an older Lodge 14" fry pan for 8 bucks. Smaller Griswold and Wagner (olderstuff) can be had for only a few dollars each if you watch for it. I got a 10" and a 6" Griswold in great shape for 15 bucks for the pair. You will have to clean and re season them but that costs nothing but some time. Lots of people are selling off the old cast iron because Teflon is so easy to use. I bet if you asked people you know if they have any you may get several pieces for free. The new stuff has a much rougher surface that makes cooking a little more difficult.
Just inspect and old pieces you buy for cracks or repairs and be sure they sit flat as they will warp from to much heat.

Good luck, you will enjoy cooking with iron!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm with Steve. Go to yard sales. The old cast iron pans are great, and far preferable to a manufactured one that might be of poor quality.

A lot of people just want cast iron pieces out of their basement or think they're obsolete. They might charge you a couple dollars for a fry pan. You can do a lot in one fry pan. Might get you through until you can afford other pieces. If it's a dutch oven you want, I'd save up for a Lodge.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:52 am

save your $ and get lodge or camp cheft watch craigs list you can find some great dills watch thift stores
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rbeemer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:28 am

egjacks wrote:ok, so these don't have lids. which means warping *might* be less of an issue. I have not been back to the store to check to see if they have even walls... just so I understand, by even do you mean the thickness is consistent all the way around or are you talking about the smoothness of the walls. I seem to recall that smoothness was important as well.

here is the link if y'all are interested.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-cast-iron-frying-pans-44707.html

Eric,

Sorry but yes I was talking about the thickness, but as these are fry pans I think you want to also make sure that they are not warped to begin with. As previous people have said , garage sales, flea markets, estate sales, etc can be a good place to get a nice older piece.

If the piece does not have any heavy pitting from rust, the folks on the forum can help you bring back to life and save you some money in the process. I think the sizes are fine for camping but I am not sure you need three pans but that is just my opinion and we all know what thats worth :lol: :lol:
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby egjacks » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:20 am

so it sounds like the general consensus is that no name stuff will probably be adequate, but that nicer ( or at least slightly nicer) will be worth the expense... does that sound about right?
I have been watching yard sales off an on for the last couple of months and not seen any cast iron, it seems that enough people around my area like it to make cheap finds difficult. :(
Estate sales and flea markets are not something I had considered... I will have to give that one some thought, then try to turn thought into action. :thinking:
Thank you guys for all your help. (I need all the help I can get!)
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby Rock » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 am

Regarding DOs I'll give the dissenting opinion as I do every time this comes up.

I bought the 12" Harbor Freight DO on sale for $12 I think and it's my most used piece. The lid was dead flat when I bought it and still is. The walls might be thick/thin/uneven but I haven't measured and haven't noticed a difference in how it cooks vs. Lodge, Cabelas or Texsport. I do check the open box ones when I'm in a store however, and most of the lids do rock some.

It's easy to say "save until you can afford a Lodge" but a Lodge 12" is what - $70? Or the poster could get a 20% off coupon and have a usable DO today for a little more than $10. And one day when he gets a name brand DO he can retire the HF to bread duty (but I haven't - it's my only 12" and it's in the rotation.)

Skillets are a whole nother matter. As long as they don't say Griswald or Wagner old ones can be had all day long around here for $2-$5. You just don't see camp ovens at garage sales or junk stores in my experience. Hence I buy new.

Obviously other opinions vary :D

Eric
Rock
Teardrop Master

Postby HandyAtLeast » Thu May 05, 2011 11:49 am

I have about 2 dozen pans ranging from Griswold and Wagner to Lodge and no names. The Griswold and Wagner pans are mirror smooth and a joy to cook with. The Lodge pan is rougher and the food sticks more often, but it is a huge pan. The no names work fine, but are also rough. For camping, I don't think you'll go much wrong with HF pans, but I'd feel more comfortable with my Wagner to fend off a bear attack. :)
I make stuff, and it's all designed on Post-Its... the small ones.
HandyAtLeast
Teardrop Builder

Postby dh » Sat May 14, 2011 6:30 am

I have yet to find a good deal on CI at a flea market in my area. They treat it like antiques, I've seen them asking $45 for a no name rusted out corn stick pan, and a few hundred for a Griswold skillit in decent condition.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cast Iron