How to season cast iron (?)

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Re: How to season cast iron (?)

Postby Corwin C » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 pm

My wife cooks almost exclusively with olive oil and she has her own pan which she has great success with. I personally have better luck with crisco/lard. Use what works.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby TheresaD » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:52 am

Since the topic has come up... I have a couple of skillets and a DO that need to be reseasoned. The thing I was wondering is whether or not you coat the ENTIRE piece, handle, outside, bottom, entire inside etc. I can't imagine that you would just do the inside but perhaps I'm wrong. Then again oiling the outside would probably mean that the oil on the outside would just burn once on the heat and oiling the handle would probably make it sticky or slippery...wouldn't it?? :? I've been meaning to ask this question for a while. What say you experts of CI??
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:53 am

I coat the entire piece and simply place a cookie sheet or some foil to catch the drips.

The cooking surface inside gets a heavier coating and possible multi passes but the seasoning is your only real insurance against rust. I guess a rusty handle wouldn't be slippery but it ain't near as pretty as a coal black well seasoned piece of iron.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Cast Iron